Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Looking to upgrade from Dynatrace Managed to SaaS? See how

Best practices of managing large environment

waikeat_chan
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

We might be about to manage a customer environments where the number of host is in thousands, instead of few hundreds.

Anyone has any experience or advice on how to best manage them? We definitely already has ways to automate the deployment of OneAgent at scale, the interesting thing for me now is how to slice-and-dice data after they are captured.

For example, my colleague and me are pondering upon what to do if the management zone is too many that, even the dropdown list won't be able to show all (or takes time to scroll to the bottom). We just go ahead and ask customer to type a few letter to filter out the long list of management zone? or we plan properly beforehand to make sure they fit correctly into the multiple environments that we will be creating in the DT Managed?

Another example, what would you guys do if the tags also has too many of them?

Dynatrace Monaco is definitely a thing we're studying now. But that mostly address about the configuration-management, not so much about address the data-management/data-analysis.

Any insight is highlight appreciated. Thanks!

Best Regards,

Wai Keat 

1 REPLY 1

Radoslaw_Szulgo
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

There are many aspects you'd need to think of - mainly performance (aka technical limitations) and enablement challenges (aka management at scale). 

For technical limitations it's the best to reach out to our Enterprise Solution Architect services - 

With them you go through a sizing exercise and plan a target deployment architecture - cluster nodes, active gates, environment distribution, management zones etc. 

Some technical limitations:

• 24 cluster nodes and 40k agents (max 20k agents in one environment); soon we will release 30 nodes and 55k agents (25k in 1 environment). 
  • There is currently a total of 100.000 conditions allowed, across all management zones, rules & configs.
Senior Product Manager,
Dynatrace Managed expert

Featured Posts