Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Looking to upgrade from Dynatrace Managed to SaaS? See how

Changing hardware requirements of Managed Server

knakayama
Contributor

Hello,

Question:

Currently, confirming the hard requirement, if the Node type is trial, it says that 32 GB of memory is required.

If the memory is less than 32 GB, will the installation fail? Or will the installation succeed if there is 16 GB or more?

Background:

Until last week, if the Node type is trial, it states that 16 GB of memory is required. However, checking today it was changed to 32 GB.

Probably, I think that it changed most recently: https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/setup-and-...

When the recommended spec was still 16 GB, I tried installing on a server less than 16 GB and I failed.

We are preparing to build Managed Server, I procured memory with 16 GB.

I am in trouble because it was changed as I saw it today.

I would like to know if installing will fail if it is 16 GB.

I am looking forward to your reply.

5 REPLIES 5

skrystosik
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

If node was installed before on 16GB it will work. But new install will fail because installer is checking configuration before start.

Sebastian

Regards, Sebastian

I have a new installation with 8 cores and 16 GB RAM. I was able to install Managed, but CMC shows the Managed node as red and after opening the server details, I see a warning stating that 8 cores and 32 GB RAM is the recommendation. So I think this was changed to a warning, instead of having the installation fail.

By the way, the sizing chart at https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/setup-and-configuration/dynatrace-managed/installation/dynatr... currently shows the minimum for a trial node as 4 cores and 32 GB RAM, which is different from the warning stating 8 cores as the minimum. But again, I suppose that's just a recommendation.

I have some Dynatrace Managed installations that are under heavy load and the CPU is utilized always less than 10%.

Based on my understanding, the size of RAM on cluster node also limits the amount of service level data processed (e.g. PurePaths) in terms of bytes and CPU clock and number of cores in terms of throughput (number of purepaths processed).

If your service level data crosses the limit, you might lose some purepaths as adaptive load reduction will be activated.

Typically unless you have many hosts and/or you are collecting extensively service level data (many purepaths, incresed limits, capture of bind variables, ... ) you will be OK with 32GB/4cores. But keep an eye on the event in CMC. Load reduction event will be shown if your HW is insufficient.

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

Thanks Julius!

Julius_Loman
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

See the answer from @Wolfgang S. to my question about RAM requirement increase. Actually, for PoC you should be fine with the previous Trial spec (16GB) if you are monitoring just a few hosts and there are not that many user actions processed.

As @sebastian k. mentions - you will not be able to install if you have less than 16GB of RAM.

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

Featured Posts