cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database insights - MySQL, MS Server

ajdimanuel
Inactive

Hi,

as It's explained in the documentation, there are three plugins to get specific metrics from MS SQL , MySQL and PostgreSQL.

As far as I understand from doc, it's needed to install OneAgent on DB machines to get that information with these plugins, am I right?

On the other hand, it there in the roadmap any other plugin for Oracle Databases?

Thanks in advance.

Alberto.

3 REPLIES 3

franz_soengen
Inactive

Hi Alberto,

edit: I was wrong here, yes, you will need OneAgent on the machines for MSSQL, PostgreSQL and MySQL.

Oracle Database Insights is in development but there isn't a release date yet:
https://community.dynatrace.com/spaces/482/dynatrace...

This will remotely run from an ActiveGate though so you won't need an OneAgent on your Oracle machines.

best regards
Franz

ajdimanuel
Inactive

Thanks,

just to clarify: for MS Server, MySQL and PostgreSQL the plugin is to run under ActiveGate, so you need to install agents on DB machines but for Oracle it won't be necessary because it will run under ActiveGate.

Why this difference? Typically, DB machines are vey big (many RAM's of memory) and it's very hard to spend a lot of Host Units of license just to get some metrics from Databases health.

Alberto.

Hi Alberto,

I assume this has to do with the different architecture of these DBMSs. For MSSQL you don't even need credentials because OneAgent collects all the metrics from the process while you will need credentials for PostgreSQL and MySQL. Also, ActiveGate plugins aren't even available yet so this was the only possibility up until now.

Another point though: for all the calls to your database that are done from instrumented hosts by supported technologies, you will already have request-level details from the instrumentation of your JDBC, ADO.NET etc.

It's not always cost-effective to instrument big RAM DB machines with OneAgent.

best regards
Franz

Featured Posts