cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Looking to upgrade from Dynatrace Managed to SaaS? See how

How can we change IP address of Dynatrace Managed Cluster server and CMC?

nkobayashi1
Helper

Hi,

Could you tell me how to change IP address of Dynatrace Managed Cluster server?
We have one Dynatrace server that lives with CMC.
I can not find any information in the document.

Thanks, Noah

19 REPLIES 19

Radoslaw_Szulgo
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

Can you please give more details on what is your problem to solve and what do you want to achieve?

Do you want to change web UI ip address ? Or you have multiple NICs?

Senior Product Manager,
Dynatrace Managed expert

In my case, the server(VM) has one NIC and IP.
I need to change the IP address of the host where both of Dynatrace Cluster server and CMC are working. This means that I need to change the web UI IP address too.

Bert_VANDEGAER_
Participant

It seems a straightforward question, but I've been strugling with mulit NIC (and hostnames) too.

If this is not a mulit NIC issue you're facinf, the IP address should be discovered and changed automatically. Try restarting the node (one at the time) and see the content of cluster.properties file.

It should now have the new IP in it.

If not ... try changing the dns entrypoint from within CMC (click on the cluster node and fill in new IP in

"Customize node endpoints" part

You mean that the setting of the following place?
CMC Home > Settings > Public endpoints > Dynatrace Web UI URL
I can not find the "Customize node endpoints".
Could you tell me where is the setting?

I mean CCM Home > select node >

e.g.

https://xxxx:8021/cmc#cm/nodedetails;nodeId=1

Radoslaw_Szulgo
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

If you want to change IP address of a host where Dynatrace Managed is installed, you need to reinstall the cluster after doing so. This is because all components rely on ip address as a communication address.

Senior Product Manager,
Dynatrace Managed expert

You mean a full cluster reinstall (so unregister cluster from Mission control and reinstall new cluster) ??? That's souns scary !!

Isn't it at least possible to take out one cluster node, reinstall that one and reassign it to existing cluster? And to this for all cluster nodes...

Well.... yes if that is an option, you can install additional nodes, wait until data is replicated, and then uninstall the node you want to reconfigure NIC and install it again.

Cluster reinstall was my mental shortcut.

Senior Product Manager,
Dynatrace Managed expert

I might be missing here something ... but why 'adding a additional node'?

Isn't a 'cluster' per definition capable of loosing one node and still run perfectly? So disable, remove 1 node ... reinstall it...add it to existing cluster.

Still would prefer this then having to start from scratch. New cluster = new tenant = gateways updates = agent updates = ... or not?

Bert_VANDEGAER_
Participant

What if you set the new IP address using the dnsEntryPoint parameter in both server as security-gateway config properties, together with the bindToNetworkInterface parameter in the server config?

E.g.

/opt/dynatrace-managed/server/conf/config.properties

[connectivity]
dnsEntryPoint = https://hostname:8443/communication
bindToNetworkInterface = <new.IP.address>

/opt/dynatrace-managed/security-Gateway/config/custom.properties

[connectivity]
dnsEntryPoint = https://hostname:8443/communication

restart cluster node offcourse

Radoslaw_Szulgo
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

It's not just the dns entryPoints, it's also Cassandra, Elasticsearch and other components.

What I can suggest, is I’d start installing a node to new host with a new IP. Once all data is replicated you can remove the old node.

That way we moved cluster from AWS to Azure without any downtime.

Senior Product Manager,
Dynatrace Managed expert

qmt
Newcomer

I've done lots of things to change the IP of a cluster member, so now it works but I still don't know exactly what is the exact order to do things, and the minimum tasks to do manually

If I had to do it again I'd proceed like this

1- using the admin GUI to modify the IP of the node ("customize node endpoint")

2- editing /etc/dynadata.conf to modify the IP, and restart

3- look for old IP in conf files (find /opt/dynatrace-managed -name *.conf -exec grep -l "192.168.1.x" {} \; )

4- make sure that the firewall service allows the IP of other members (/opt/dynatrace-managed/services/firewall.conf) on all nodes

5- restart, restart, restart 🙂

Appreciate your comments to my questions.

Hi, We've restricted Dynatrace traffic to mgmt NIC/network. The front end IP is used only to access the console. We're just changing the front end IP. Will it affect the Dynatrace functionality?

Regards, Sandeep

If that's only for UI access then it should work.

Senior Product Manager,
Dynatrace Managed expert

Thanks Radoslaw. @Wolfgang B. Can we see this recommendation documented in Cluster IP change scenario?

rajeshwar_vadhe
Participant

In my case, We have 3 node cluster running in our Primary DC. We are planning to do failover to DR datacenter where the nodes will have different IPs. How does it impact when we bring DR data center nodes live? What are configuration files need to be changed to reflect correct IP?

You shouldn’t do that. Install that fresh nodes, provide there Network communication an they will replicate than. Do not clone machines or change ip

Regards, Sebastian

we are leveraging VMWare's SRM technology to replicate VMs from primary to DR data center. However, The config files in primary DC have IP addresses in them. When replicated over, what happens to those IPs. If we restart Nodes in DR data center, Does Dynatrace pick up new IPs?

Featured Posts