Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Looking to upgrade from Dynatrace Managed to SaaS? See how

Problem with server upgrade

radek_jasinski
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Hello,

I have a problem with one offline environment. It wants to do a server upgrade and I get the problem of no permissions for the Dynatrace user to the /tmp directory.

Error: Precondition verification failed on host ‘IP’ due to: Script has returned code 0 with status OK and with details: sudo: ldap_sasl_bind_s(): Can't contact LDAP server

2023-04-17 11:25:50 UTC           0             Starting Dynatrace 1.262.154.20230324-154358 installer ...

2023-04-17 11:25:50 UTC           10          Verifying system compatibility ...

2023-04-17 11:25:50 UTC           20          Verifying disk space ...

2023-04-17 11:25:50 UTC           25          Verifying Dynatrace directories ...

2023-04-17 11:25:50 UTC           50          Verifying system privileges ...

2023-04-17 11:26:21 UTC           70          Verifying system connectivity ...

2023-04-17 11:26:21 UTC           80          Checking user permissions ...

2023-04-17 11:26:31 UTC           100        System verification failed, with status: installer unpacked, system verified

FAILED

Dynatrace user dynatrace:dynatrace doesn't have access to following directories: /tmp - cannot access. Make sure they are accessible and permissions are granted properly.

. Precondition verification failed on host ‘IP’ due to: Script has returned code 0 with status OK and with details: sudo: ldap_sasl_bind_s(): Can't contact LDAP server

The server was installed with the root account. Nothing has been changed on the server.

Interestingly when I manually log in to this user I can perform all operations normally. In addition, DT server itself created a directory there despite the information that it has no permissions.

Dynatrace-server [root@dynatrace-server dynatrace] 13:29# sudo su - dynatrace

sudo: ldap_sasl_bind_s(): Can't contact LDAP server

su: warning: cannot change directory to /home/dynatrace: No such file or directory

Dynatrace-server [dynatrace@dynatrace-server dynatrace] 13:30$ cd /tmp

Dynatrace-server [dynatrace@dynatrace-server tmp] 13:30$ ll

total 0

drwxr-xr-x 2 dynatrace dynatrace 53 Apr 16 23:08 hsperfdata_dynatrace

Dynatrace-server [dynatrace@dynatrace-server tmp] 13:30$ mkdir new

Dynatrace-server [dynatrace@dynatrace-server tmp] 13:30$ cd new

Dynatrace-server [dynatrace@dynatrace-server new] 13:30$ vi aa

Dynatrace-server [dynatrace@dynatrace-server new] 13:30$ ll

total 4

-rw-r----- 1 dynatrace dynatrace 17 Apr 17 13:30 aa

Have any of you had this problem?

Radek

Have a nice day!
5 REPLIES 5

Mohamed_Hamdy
DynaMight Champion
DynaMight Champion

Hi @radek_jasinski ,

is this error retrieved after uploading the updates bundle via Cluster Management Console in the "Settings / Automatic update" page?

Certified Dynatrace Professional | Certified Dynatrace Services Delivery - Observability & CloudOps | Dynatrace Partner - yourcompass.ca

Yes, the packages are already uploaded to the server.

Have a nice day!

Hi Radek, were you able to find the solution in the meanwhile? 

The only constant is change. Finding ways for great things to happen!

Hi Ana,

The problem was that the servers were added to LDAP and this caused an unintelligible error on the DT side, even though the components are running on a local user (root). After disconnecting the servers from LDAP, the update went through correctly.

Radek

Have a nice day!

Julius_Loman
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

@radek_jasinski looks like the issue is in badly configured operating system.
When you run sudo it gives you an error: ldap_sasl_bind_s(): Can't contact LDAP server

I think someone configured the PAM on the Linux host for LDAP and it's not working properly. I belive the installer checks prerequisites by running some commands using sudo and it checks if there is anything in the stderr output. In your case there is.

Please have someone fix the sudo and I believe it will start working again as expected.

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

Featured Posts