cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Process groups and multiple tiers

niamh_gibbons1
Newcomer

I have multiple (lower) tiers of the same .NET/IIS application in one tenant. I have added tags at the host level of each application via hostautotag.conf and setup alerting profiles based on these tags. However I'm getting problem tickets from Env1 alerting profile when the problem is in Env2, because of the process grouping. What is the best way to resolve this?

5 REPLIES 5

nj_njoku
Inactive

Hi Niamh,

If i understand correctly, you have processes that are for 2 separate environments mapped to the same Process group? I will recommend separating them into different process groups so processes for Env1 map to one PG and processes for Env2 map to another PG. You can go into the Settings -> Process Groups -> Process Group detection and create a detection rule to map these to separate PGs. My guess is there is some process property that makes processes for Env1 different from those for Env2. Please see link for full details on how to do this. Also after this is configured, you will need to restart the processes for this to take effect. When this is done, you can tag these PGs with different tags in the UI and create separate alerting profiles for both.

Hope This Helps

NJ

niamh_gibbons1
Newcomer

Hi NJ,

Thanks for your response. I can't see any difference in the process properties for Env1 or Env2, they are the exact same application deployed with the same exe name, exe path, command line args etc. I was hoping to avoid needing to update the env variable for each process on each host, as this is manual and not scalable.

I have added a system environment variable and added a process group detection rule, will revert back with the results of this after process restarts and analysis.

Thanks,

Niamh

hayden_miedema
Inactive

Hi Niamh,

As NJ noted, the best way to do this currently is through PG detection rules, but your solution is also one that may work by using an environment variable. There is actually an already supported environment variable for PG detection called 'DT_CLUSTER_ID'. You can set this as a key and the value used will be picked up to group things into a new group with whatever you set as the value.

Let us know if this works for you.

Regards,

Hayden

niamh_gibbons1
Newcomer

Update - the new host groups feature resolved this issue. https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/infrastructure/hosts/how-do-i-organize-my-environment-using-host-groups/

niamh_gibbons1
Newcomer

Featured Posts