08 Aug 2021 06:30 AM - last edited on 07 Sep 2021 01:59 AM by MaciejNeumann
I have an issue that the same Oracle database is related to the multiple OSB servers.
I found that the database connection is configured via tnsnames file and the network service name is used in OSB data source configuration.
Has anyone encountered such a problem and found a solution how to connect the database to the Oracle dababase server instead of OSB servers?
@gofman_anatoly we have not run into this issue. Were you able to formulate a resolution? If so are you able to share with us what was done to resolve this?
@gofman_anatoly If I got your question right, you have OneAgent installed on the Oracle server and you don't see the relations between the Database service in Dynatrace and the Oracle process on the DB host. Is that correct?
Unfortunately on the application side, there are limits in detecting the real destination of the database. Dynatrace does not inspect any subsequent driver/client configuration and only sees the values the DB driver is providing to the application. That's why you can also sometimes see multiple instances of the same database just having different hostnames configured. Unfortunately in the current version, Databases services cannot be merged or manually related to other entities. You can reconfigure your connections strings, accept the way it is or create an RFE.
I have OneAgent installed on the Oracle WebLogic OSB servers. All connection pools in Data Sources are configured with aliases and real DB connections are defined in tnsnames.ora file. This configuration gives us a fast DR process, where only the tnsnames.ora file changes on the servers without changing all connection pools.
To further explain's Anatoly's question, as the call to Oracle is done with a connection to the local tnsnames file (the oracle mapping file), Dynatrace reads the connections string and thinks that localhost is the db server, hence why it is doing the split.
As we're doing it from the Application side (just like @Julius_Loman wrote), I have not found a way to work around it.
Yes, I get it. Unfortunately at the moment there is nothing that can be done on the configuration for more accurate detection. There is an RFE opened for a long time already for merging Databases.
I hope this will once be solved by some rules such as service detection rules, so you can finetune the detection.