cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Show Host Name along with Process Name in Dashboard Tile (without renaming process)

sivart_89
Advisor

I have a dashboard graph using metric key builtin:tech.generic.mem.usage and filtering to a specific process, showing 20+ hosts with that process. I am aware of how you can append or put the host name into the process name so that the process name is changed but we do not want to rename the process name. Is there a way of somehow also showing the hostname for each process in the dashboard tile? Keeping in mind that I do not want to rename the process to include the host name.

12 REPLIES 12

Mizső
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Hi @sivart_89,

You can't solve it with builtin:tech.generic.mem.usage metric becasue ithas only one dimension for splitby: process group instance.

Mizs_0-1665211241783.png

I have found another metric which has more dimensions but I don not understand the collection logic because it is not continous and I have not found any other information about this metric in the documnetation.

Mizs_1-1665212089936.png

builtin:process.memory:splitBy("dt.entity.process_group_instance","host.name"):sort(value(auto,descending)):limit(10)

Result in the demo live:

Mizs_2-1665212327666.png

Could you please check it in your environmnet.

Best regards,

Mizső

Dynatrace Community RockStar 2024, Certified Dynatrace Professional

Thanks for the info here. Seems we are not collecting data for this metric for whatever reason, ever ran into this?

travis_anderson_0-1665411843835.png

Mizső
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Hi @sivart_89,

This is not a proper metric for you sorry. You should use your original metric with the suggestion of Julius. I tried the parents transformation and worked fine with your original metric.

Best regards,

Mizső

Thanks. Just replied to Julius. As noted with that comment, it seems the hostname does not show when filtering to a specific process but works fine if you are not doing any filtering.

Julius_Loman
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

Hey @sivart_89 and @Mizső ,
why are you not using the :parents transformation in the code tab? This adds the host dimension to the existing metric.

builtin:tech.generic.mem.usage:parents:splitBy("dt.entity.process_group_instance","dt.entity.host"):sort(value(auto,descending)):limit(100)

Super cool, but often overlooked feature. 

Regards
Julius

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

Very interesting! I'll be the first to note that the transformations are not something I look too much at, guess I should. I charted this out and yes it works great for when you are not filtering to a specific process but in our case we have a specific process name. Have you been able to get this to work when filtering to a specific process?

@sivart_89  sure it works, this is an example - what issues do you have?

builtin:tech.generic.mem.usage
:filter(and(or(in("dt.entity.process_group_instance",entitySelector("type(process_group_instance),entityName.startsWith(~"SpringBoot api-gateway-*~")")))))
:parents
:splitBy("dt.entity.process_group_instance","dt.entity.host")
:sort(value(auto,descending))
:limit(100)

I think I didn't have the transformation in the right spot 🙂 I see it now when I filter only with the process name but we are also using a tag filter coupled with the process name. When using the tag filter I do not see the host name but if I remove it so that the only filter is the process name then I do see it. I think this works for us but still trying to understand why it isn't working with the tag filter

Can you paste your metric selector?

It works for me:

Julius_Loman_0-1665474209897.png

thanks for teh screenshot, this helped a lot. I see what I did wrong, I did not have the dt_entity_host in my split by. Thanks for the help here! I've got a lot to learn with metric expressions

Before:

:splitBy("dt.entity.process_group_instance")

After:

:splitBy("dt.entity.process_group_instance","dt.entity.host")

Wow, freaking amazing.  had no idea that this could be done.  Thanks for sharing.

Dynatrace Certified Professional

Mizső
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Hi @Julius_Loman 

It is noted. 🙂 Thanks for sharing it!

Best regards,

Mizső

Featured Posts