cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to push 3rd Party Metrics to Dynatrace SAAS

Hi All, 

We have one 3rd party tool which is tool have REST API capability, Now we want push metrics to Dynatrace using the 3rd party tool REST API.

Is there any way we can Do it.

I saw we have Metric ingestion methodes using Dynatrace API  https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/shortlink/metric-ingestion , But this case we have API from 3rd party tool.

Please provide any suggestions.

Regards,

Venkat 

10 REPLIES 10

Julius_Loman
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

Hello @VenkataSainath ,

you have several options:

• write a script/daemon fetching the source metrics and push the metrics using Dynatrace REST API
  • create an ActiveGate extension to pull the metrics and use the Extensions SDK to push them to Dynatrace

It depends on the particular use case. Pulling from REST API is not (yet) available, but it's on the roadmap as far as I know.

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

Hi @Julius_Loman 

Thanks you so much for inputs.

And one more option I have here, We have installed oneagent in the target server and here we need Capture more metrics which was not captured By one agent.

In the Case which method Metric ingestion can be used , If any examples of available Please suggest us.

and I went through the https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/shortlink/metric-ingestion#anchor_local, But still not yet clear.

If you can provide any examples that would be great 

Regards,

Venkat

Yes, for metric ingestion you can also use the local port on OneAgent (typically localhost:14499) or use the oneagent ingest tool available with oneagent. The advantage here is, that you don't need any authorization (Api-Tokens) for sending metrics to Dynatrace. It's probably the best way to ingest the metrics in your case.

You can also create a OneAgent extension and send metrics using the extensions (that's similar to the ActiveGate extension), but the OneAgent extension can bind metrics only to the host itself.

@Julius_Loman  Thanks For your inputs, Could you please provide if any examples are available.

Regards,

Venkat 

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

One advantage of using ingestion through OneAgent is that you have a free-tier of metrics, which will not exist if you do it through the API:
https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/shortlink/metric-cost-calculation#included-metrics-per-host-u...

Antonio Sousa

Hi,

That's actually not an advantage. If you use the metric ingest and assign the metric to a host/process it will first use the free tier metrics.

Mike

Mike

Hi @Julius_Loman ,

Thanks for your information, Today I went Through the OneAgent metric API Document, Once I have Prepared Curl Command , How i need schedule the Command  and here the content type is text \Plain.

VenkataSainath_0-1632116950933.png

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/shortlink/local-api#example

Could you please provide your inputs here .

Regards,

Venkat

@VenkataSainath you can one the dynatrace_ingest instead of curl.

For scheduling - it's up to you... use infinite loop in script, cron scheduler, systemd unit  (if you are on Linux).

Hi All, 

Thanks for updates,

As per Metrics V2 in Documentation we can able push the Data only in "text" format, In our case , the data which we need to push the metrics to Dynatrace available in Json Format.

Any suggestions for pushing the Data in json format 

Venkat

How does your JSON format look like? You can use utils such as jq or any scripting language to transform the metrics to the line protocol accepted by Dynatrace. Actually, it's very similar to the InfluxDB line protocol.

Featured Posts