cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to invoke the Rest API that the UI uses?

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Given that the UI uses a separate API than the environment API, it seems to me that it might not be accessible.

In any case, I would ask if anyone can give insight on this, if it might be used, or if there are any intentions of exposing it to the users that are willing to use it in an advanced form?

Antonio Sousa
5 REPLIES 5

Julius_Loman
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

Yes, technically it is, but I'd discourage using that API as may break without notice and you are also risking breaking some configuration if you want to do changes. Just by logging in and issuing correct requests (csrf_token and Cookies), you are able to call it. Another method I can think of would be using some browser scripting tools (selenium for example).

I understand there are still areas not covered by the Config or Environment APIs. Just wondering - which API do you need to call and what is the use case?

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

@Július L., yes, I imagine it is possible, but I have only looked at the replies coming in via the Developer Tools. In some cases, that's a real help, as I have noticed in the following post, which involved this technique and some ggplot stitching:

https://community.dynatrace.com/spaces/483/dynatrace-product-ideas/idea/239813/scatter-plotting-pure...

In my case, I'm looking for a way to get data for a specific service, where there are too many types of requests to get them from Request Attributes. I have upvoted an old RFE that is basically what I need:

https://community.dynatrace.com/spaces/483/dynatrace-product-ideas/idea/216968/rfe-timeseries-rest-a...

Antonio Sousa

Just quick notice that I was trying to find a solution that would involve API tokens, and not passing authentication information from an existing session. The reason is that I'm trying to automate it, of course...

Antonio Sousa

So our customers to workaround missing pieces in REST APIs use Selenium automation to just click things in UI instead. Definitely more secure.

Senior Product Manager,
Dynatrace Managed expert

Yes, I could even use RPA and get it, but doesn't make sense 😉

Definetly, it would make sense that this data is available...
Antonio Sousa

Featured Posts