cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[RUM] How to split "User active session" by domain ?

JDA
Visitor

Hi Dynatrace community,

I am encountering a small issue.

I have created an application to measure RUM in my tenant (Managed).

This application have a detection rule based on /context

I have 120 partners with 120 different domain alias and dynatrace discover all of them.

Exemple for partner 1, 2, 3 … to 120 :

Partner1.my-domain.com/context
Partner2.my-domain.com/context
Partner3.my-domain.com/context

Partner120.my-domain.com/context

So, all partners are well discovered in my application in the "domains".

Now I want to display "Active Session" by domain but I haven't find how to do it.

In the "Data Explorer", I want to split "active session - web app" by domain, and apparently it's not possible.

In the same way, I want to split in : Applications >> My Application : Active Sessions 'square by domain (partners) and it's not possible (no filter field).

Maybe some of you already have a workaround or an easy way to display the "active sessions" by domain in application ?

Thanks 

4 REPLIES 4

Fin_Ubels
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Hey JDA,

Unless I am mistaken I don't believe this to be possible without splitting each domain into its own app as you can filter that metric by app. For 120+ apps that would be alot of work but it could be done through the API or with a tool like Monaco to make it simpler. Once you set up a configuration just loop through the API 120 times changing the name for the app and the domain for the tagging rule. Splitting it like this would also give you better insight into whether or a particular domain is having any issues rather than having all errors and problems grouped in the same application.
Docs for Monaco:
https://dynatrace-oss.github.io/dynatrace-monitoring-as-code/
Docs for API:
https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/dynatrace-api/configuration-api/rum/application-detection-con...
https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/dynatrace-api/configuration-api/rum/web-application-configura...

Otherwise you can filter and query finished sessions to your hearts content using the user session query feature but that gives data that could be minutes or hours old as it only uses finished sessions and so it would not be useful for monitoring your environment live.

@Fin_Ubels is correct. There is no other way than to create a separate web application for each domain (and app). There are certain methods (split user actions by domain, which is the default option), but the metrics for web apps do honour that.

With a user session query you might get some of the output you need - the useraction has the domain attribute and you can filter on it. But USQL has its limitations.

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

JDA
Visitor

Thank you @Fin_Ubels  , @Julius_Loman 

I have another limitation to consider : I have several applications that each contains 120+ domains and I am affraid that the base 1 000 detection rules will be reached for my tenant (that's why i wanted to apply "domain" as a filter on application).

Is there a way to graph "active session" via USQL ? I only found StartTime and EndTime for useraction.domain from usersession

Julius_Loman
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

USQL is not designed for realtime data, but for analytics. Thus it does not provide you with data from live sessions.

For the realtime data for active sessions (captured by RUM) I'm afraid you will need to split the applications or capture the data from another source than RUM. If you don't need realtime data, you can use USQL metrics to calculate active sessions per domain.

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

Featured Posts