cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synthetic http status codes check

Julius_Loman
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

In the synthetic tests (clickpath or browser) are there any built-in checks on the returned HTTP status codes? (e.g. failure if HTTP Code is above 400).
Or can the HTTP codes be somehow used in the content validation?

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner
5 REPLIES 5

Philipp_Kastner
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi Julius,

browser & clickpath monitors will automatically fail for response status codes 400 to 599.

Kind regards, Philipp

That's interesting since I'm running a browser test for about a year and yesterday the monitored website had an outage (for several hours) and Dynatrace did not notice the outage at all. The service resulted in HTTP code 503 (with valid HTML output showing an error page). I can see it in the run analysis, that Dynatrace got the error page, but no problem was generated and there is not an outage in the availability graph.

That should not happen. As soon as the main document requests returns an HTTP status code 503 Dynatrace detects an outage. (If it was not manually disabled for this specific monitor)

Could you please go ahead and open a support ticket  so we can have a closer look?

Thanks, Philipp

I've opened a support case (SUP-8685). My further investigation of synthetic runs revealed that although the waterfall displayed in Dynatrace reflected the error page which actually was actually server, the screenshot did not. So this really seems to be an issue in the Dynatrace synthetic engine.

don_bonin
Advisor

Also, if Dynatrace detects a 200 response from any of the requests in an action, a single 500 response among many 200 responses will NOT trigger an error. Phillipp may be correct about the "main document" response, but I know for a fact that other errors can slip by unless you directly check the response code.

Featured Posts