Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Looking to upgrade from Dynatrace Managed to SaaS? See how

Dynatrace SaaS vs Managed

SOBE
Guide

Hello there,

i've been surprized today by the interface of Dynatrace SaaS.

I've been using Dynatrace Managed for almost 4 years now and today i decided to check out some videos in university and i was really surprised by how much different is Dynatrace SaaS with the workflows and notebooks and Grail and DQL...

Are we ever going to have the same thing on Managed ? or are they pushing people to go to SaaS ?

22 REPLIES 22

Mizső
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Hi @SOBE,

Dynatrace Managed is still in the pipeline, but the new function (by mentioned you Grail, Workflow, Notebook) will be available only in the SaaS.  Basis of these new function is Grail and locally it is not feasible.

Best regards,

Mizső

Dynatrace Community RockStar 2024, Certified Dynatrace Professional

That's too bad for people like me. i feel like i'm missing a lot of new feature and it's moving so quick that it's gonna be hard to catch up. Our company are still refusing to move to SaaS unfortunately.

Thank you for the info

My suggestion: work with your DT account team and put a business case for moving to SaaS/Grail to show them the benefits.

Here is a comparisons:

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/upgrade/up-information?_ga=2.170144291.2051316535.1692617646-...

Dynatrace Certified Professional

Kenny_Gillette
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Yes, they are suggesting to move to SaaS as Grail is supported in SaaS.  They have been pushing/documenting how to move.  https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/upgrade

echwallah
Advisor

That is a good question @SOBE seems the push is to move clients to SAAS since normally when we present to prospective clients we usually explain to them that Dynatrace functionality is similar should they choose SAAS or Managed models and the ony difference is Storage Location. Now it seems that the differences are diverging and increasing rapidly and in essesnce now they are not really the same

Dynatrace Certified Associate

Exactly, it's like a different platform now.

i honestly was surprized when i saw it for the first time.

Positively I hope? 🙂

Senior Product Manager,
Dynatrace Managed expert

Of course ! Except that i won't be able to use all those new features.

and honestly what's bothering me the most is that i'm afraid i can't catch up later (If i change my current company and try to land another job that needs Dynatrace SaaS expertize.)

I'll try to keep myself updated with theoretical documentation i guess that's all i can do for the moment.

You can also work on a trial, or reach out to us to get access to our Dynatrace Discover environment where you can play with data.

Senior Product Manager,
Dynatrace Managed expert

Ah really ! i didn't know that was possible.

Can you give more info about Dynatrace Discover Env ? is there a link that explains this ? 

Communication will probably be launched soon. At best now, reach out to your customer success manager or Account rep. Ultimately to Dynatrace ONE via chat.

Senior Product Manager,
Dynatrace Managed expert

Here is Playground: https://wkf10640.apps.dynatrace.com/ui

I just found the link yesterday in Link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMEI_MO_1Eo

In this episode, Berkan Akbulut and Andreas Grabner cover the following #Dynatrace releases: Release Notes 1.271: https://dynatr.ac/3sj00lv Release Notes 1.272: https://dynatr.ac/3EqdHlH In the talk, we referenced many resources. To get the slide deck with all links, please navigate to ...

Cool! I wasn't sure if we can already publish this! All - feel free to utilize this - it's awesome, and more use cases to come to the environment.

Senior Product Manager,
Dynatrace Managed expert

tibebe_m_digafe
Advisor

Hi @SOBE  We're in the same situation as you. Raised my concern a couple of months ago.

I assume Dynatrace has made a conscious decision not to support new functionality on "managed". I don't buy the argument about the technical feasibility .. My point at the time was that for some customers having their data in the cloud/SaaS may not be acceptable. The question of migration doesn't even come up.

Talk to account team on how to make possible for Managed Customers.  

did bring this up with account management back in Apr this year. The answer isn't  encouraging though.

Figured.  I would suggest RFE for managed customers.

I hear you. As a Dynatrace Managed Product Manager, I was skeptical of the initial technical feasibility. I can now see that Grail deployment consists of hundreds of pods on a dozen Kubernetes nodes, plus orchestration of this, automation, and other tools. Believe me or not, I can't imagine this being maintained correctly by any of our existing customers without a dedicated big team, additional infrastructure costs, and putting a lot of burden on our side to ensure it's updateable, secure ... enterprise-ready. We designed Grail to deal with a large scale of data quickly, resiliently, and cost-efficiently. And that's the value you can't compete with. 

Senior Product Manager,
Dynatrace Managed expert

Thanks much @Radoslaw_Szulgo .

I understand the DT's rationale for the decision. My point is that some customers may be unable to use the SaaS offering because of security and other compliance constraints.  

As you know, not all customers are the same "size" and "capability". 

We're fully aware of blockers, frictions, pains, and enablers of our Dynatrace Managed customers, and we're focused on solving them so SaaS is available to them. This includes initiatives around data security and access, data privacy, masking and anonymization, and various compliance initiatives like ISO27001, HIPAA/BAA, etc. 

We can help you in preparing a business case and a way forward for your organization to have SaaS ready for you. Reach out to us!

Senior Product Manager,
Dynatrace Managed expert

@Radoslaw_Szulgo Thanks. 

we're going to have some discussion internally some time next month/Sep likely followed by a meeting(s) with account management if migration to SaaS is acceptable to the business. I assume account management will engage you/your team as the case is brought up to their attention.

Awesome news! You have all our support! Looking forward and good luck!

Senior Product Manager,
Dynatrace Managed expert

Featured Posts