cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Environment ActiveGates as containers

Hi guys.

Is it feasible to install Environment ActiveGates as containers?

I´m not referring to monitor a Kubernetes Cluster by installing a containerized ActiveGate as stated here (i.e.: as a Dynatrace Operator):

Get started with Kubernetes/OpenShift monitoring 

but I´m referring to install an Environment ActiveGate acting as a classic ActiveGate installed on a VM:

• Routing OneAgents traffic (Collector)
  • Monitor Cloud environments (AWS, Azure)
  • Monitor remote technologies via Extensions (1.0 and 2.0)
  • Run Synthetic monitors

if so, do I do it ?

And what about the admin tasks:

• Configuring the .properties Files
  • Check ActiveGate logs
  • Start/Restart the Services (dynatracegateway, remotepluginmodule)
  • Upgrade the ActiveGate SW
  • etc ...

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards.

9 REPLIES 9

Yosi_Neuman
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Hi @juanjo_garcia 

First you need to understand which functionalities are supported by containerized AG from here

Yosi_Neuman_0-1688203586693.png

And then to decide if you what to Deploy ActiveGate in Kubernetes/OpenShift as a StatefulSet

HTH

Yos

dynatrace certificated professional - dynatrace master partner - Matrix Soft Ware Division - Israel

Hi Yos,

If I would like to collect OTLP metrics and traces from Kubernetes environment I should use a not containerized AG outside of the Kubernetes cluster?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Mizső

Dynatrace Community RockStar 2024, Certified Dynatrace Professional

Hi @Mizső 

From documentation its look you are right and for OLTP ingest you will need host based AG

Yosi_Neuman_0-1688365409378.png

HTH

Yos 

dynatrace certificated professional - dynatrace master partner - Matrix Soft Ware Division - Israel

Hi Yos,

Thanks for your swift response.

I hope it will be changed sooner or later. 

Have a nice day.

Best regards,

Mizső

Dynatrace Community RockStar 2024, Certified Dynatrace Professional

Hi Yos.

Thank you very much for your help, the information you have provided is extremely useful.

Have you deployed any ActiveGates as Containers ? If so:

• Have you run into any issues ?
  • Are the day-to-day admin tasks very different compared to ActiveGates installed on VMs ?

Regards.

Hello @juanjo_garcia 

ActiveGate is updated automatically on pod restart whenever there is a new version available unless the image version is specified in cr.yaml. I am looking for the other information as well in case I can provide it.

Please have a look at the below link in case you did not go through yet.

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/setup-and-configuration/setup-on-container-platforms/kubernet...

Regards,

Babar

Hi Babar.

Thank you very much for letting me know.

I´m concern about the admin tasks when it comes to ActiveGates as Containers. We are used to carry out them in an IaaS-classical-way neverthless with Kubernetes is different.

Regards.

Hi @juanjo_garcia 

Did not install containerized AG with out dynatrace operator.

From documentation its look like there is no admin staff that you need to take care off, beside to restart the pod every  time you need to upgrade the AG version.

Please pay attention to ActiveGate limit sizing hints

HTH

Yos 

daniel-ciaglia
Newcomer

we installed the AG as a container specifically to use as ENVIRONMENT AG on AWS. As per the first links, this is not supported and the issue basically is the following.
The AG contacts the metadata service (https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/ec2-instance-metadata.html) to get its credentials. I was not able to get the AG to use the provided credentials in the environment variables (as is standard with EKS and ServiceAccounts) 😞
Support sent me over here to request the feature 🤯.

Featured Posts