Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenShift Resource quotas across multiple projects metric

Yosi_Neuman
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Hi guys,

Customer monitor OpenShift(OCP) with dynatrace and requested to see Resource quotas across multiple projects in dynatrace. We didn't found this metric in dynatrace.

Question is if there a way to add more metrics from OCP beside creating AG plugin that will pull this information from the OCP thru it rest api and push into dynatrace with metric ingest rest api?

Thanks in advance for your insight with that.

All the best and stay safe

Yos 

dynatrace certificated professional - dynatrace master partner - Matrix Soft Ware Division - Israel
10 REPLIES 10

dannemca
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Did you tried with Prometheus Metrics?

Site Reliability Engineer @ Kyndryl

Hi @dannemca not big expert in Prometheus but I wonder if it can scarp information from the management side and as far as I know OA is not installed on management servers by default.    

dynatrace certificated professional - dynatrace master partner - Matrix Soft Ware Division - Israel

The Prometheus integration is at cluster level, not at OA. In order to use it, you should have the cluster configured on Dynatrace using API or Dynatrace Operator.

I am also not an expert either, but I guess it can be done.

Stand corrected, will check with OCP guys the Prometheus option and will update.

Thanks @dannemca 

dannemca
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Also, saw some builtin metrics for quotas, have you also check those?
builtin:cloud.kubernetes.namespace.quota.pods

builtin:cloud.kubernetes.namespace.quota.usedPods

Hi @dannemca tried those, they are per namespace not the multi project one.

If you do not use the split by namespace condition, it will show you the aggregated quota information from all projects/namespaces. 

OK, this one is interesting !!!

Will check it next week with customer and will update

Thanks a lot for your inputs @dannemca !!!

Yos

Hi @dannemca 

In this K8S cluster the resources per namespace is not set only the projects one.

When looking at builtin:cloud.kubernetes.namespace.quota.* metrics they show no value with or with out filtering.

Still checking the Prometheus suggestion with OCP guys. Will update

Thanks

Yos 

dan_m_smith
Helper

Is there not an API call that Dynatrace could make to retrieve these metrics.  We are also being asked to provide this data.  

Featured Posts