cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to get a single value from the difference of 2 timeseries values, same dimensions, different values...

calogajac
Visitor

I've been working to create a single value block on a notebook where I'm fetching two different timeseries values that use the same metric. The dimensions on this metric are by environment and region (region meaning the region of an EKS Kubernetes cluster). The trick is that for each value, they both have a distinct region. Here's my query so far:

timeseries east_count = sum(`custom-metric`, default:0), by:{env, region}
| filter env == "dev"
| filter region == "region-1"
| append [
  timeseries west_count = sum(`custom-metric`, default:0), by:{env, region}
  | filter env == "dev"
  | filter region == "region-2"
]
| fields east=arraySum(east_count), west=arraySum(west_count)

I am not currently running the difference between the two because I want to see what both values equate to. I would expect by running this query to get a single record with 2 fields, but I appear to be getting two records, each of which have both fields. The records end up coming back like this:

record1: east: 6000, west: null

record2: east: null, west: 6500

Where have I gone wrong here in returning two records rather than a single record?

2 REPLIES 2

krzysztof_hoja
Dynatrace Advisor
Dynatrace Advisor

This is exactly what append does: adds new records. First part of the query added 1st record, then with append you added 2nd.

But it is possible to merge both into single one (i am using metrics available on my tenant):

timeseries east=avg(dt.cloud.aws.alb.bytes), by:{aws.region}, filter:aws.region=="us-east-1"
| append [
timeseries west=avg(dt.cloud.aws.alb.bytes), by:{aws.region}, filter:aws.region=="us-west-2"
]
| fields east=arraySum(east), west=arraySum(west)
| summarize {east=takeAny(east), west=takeAny(west)}

krzysztof_hoja_0-1715932469880.png

Kris

Thanks Kris! There is definitely a better way to do this, I'm sure, but your suggestion got me to the desired solution with a couple small tweaks. Appreciate the help!

Featured Posts