cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dashboard with virtual machines running on ESXi host

matthias_dillie
Advisor

Hi all,

is there a way to show a table in a dashboard with all virtual machines running on a VMware ESXi host or better on all hosts in a zone? I would like to have an overview to see on which ESXi hosts the virtual machines are running.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

dannemca
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Yep, there is.

You can use any host metric you need, example builtin:host.availability, and then , set the split by host, and use the filter to select the ESXi Host you need to see the VMs of.

Example:

Screenshot 2023-02-08 at 17.29.12.png

This is from demo.live.dynatrace.com, so I see no issues in showing hostnames here.

That's the current formula:

builtin:host.availability:filter(and(or(in("dt.entity.host",entitySelector("type(host),fromRelationship.runsOn(type(HYPERVISOR),entityName.equals(~"pl1l-vh90.lab.dynatrace.org~"))"))))):splitBy("dt.entity.host"):sort(value(auto,descending)):limit(20)

Try and let us know.

Site Reliability Engineer @ Kyndryl

Thank you. This works, as the ESXi-hosts are rather static. I can produce a tabel for every ESXi-host with all the hosts running on this ESXi-host.

dannemca
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Just noticed that the first metric I sent will bring only the hosts where OneAgent are running.

If you need all VMs , despite the OneAgent, please use any of these metrics from builtin:cloud.vmware.vm.*

Example:

Screenshot 2023-02-08 at 17.37.35.png

Formula:

builtin:cloud.vmware.vm.cpu.readyPerc:filter(and(or(in("dt.entity.virtualmachine",entitySelector("type(virtualmachine),fromRelationship.runsOn(type(HYPERVISOR),entityName.equals(~"pl1l-vh90.lab.dynatrace.org~"))"))))):splitBy("dt.entity.virtualmachine"):sort(value(auto,descending)):limit(20)

Observe that this time, it is showing one more VM, which was not listed before, since OneAgent not running.

from ESXi Host details page:

Screenshot 2023-02-08 at 17.39.40.png

Site Reliability Engineer @ Kyndryl

Featured Posts