cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data explorer upgrade (aka Custom chart deprecation)

zietho
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Dear all, 

• What: We have set a date to remove Custom charts from Dynatrace. If you use Custom charts, it's time to plan for upgrading your charts and dashboards to the Data explorer.
  • When: Dynatrace version 1.265, which is planned for release in Q2 2023, will be the last Dynatrace release to support Custom charts.
  • How: You can upgrade tile by tile, dashboard by dashboard, or all dashboards at once using the Dynatrace API (all available with Dynatrace version 1.251)

Find more details in the related documentation and blog

Let's use this thread to expose and discuss what you believe is still missing and what we can do to smoothly and successfully transition you from Custom charts to the Data explorer. 

3...2...1.. shoot, we're listening!  

Or, in any case... 

keep calm.jpeg

11 REPLIES 11

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

@zietho,

Some I can remember rapidly:

• Exporting to SVGs or other image, is a MUST for some of our customers.
  • Conversions are still not working OK when there are for instance some type of filters.
  • An easy way to discover in an environment which dashboards still have Custom Charts.

BTW, you have a link to an internal server, that you might want to correct.

Antonio Sousa

Thanks for sharing,

I was thinking exactly to the 3rd point.

I don't have time to explore all customer's Dashboards and verify which one is using Custom Charts.

For a specially this purpose, Is it possible to make a Dashboard in the Dashboards menu with different colors or with a specific text to know that its always using CM.

Sharing Knowledge

zietho
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Dear both,

our approach (answer to this) should go out with 1.252, where we provide you with an additional filter in the dashboard list. When set, you will only see dashboards with Custom chart tiles on it.

Bonus: when you upgrade a or multiple dashboards via the API (release with 1.250) it will skip dashboards without Custom chart tiles on them. So upgrading all is as simple as sending in all. We hope both in combination provide you with sufficient means to quickly and successfully upgrade all your dashboards.

regards Thomas

DanielS
DynaMight Champion
DynaMight Champion

Please, have in mind that some end users are going to upgrade their dashboards and they lack knowledge of using API. Please do it as painless as possible. Thanks.

The true delight is in the finding out rather than in the knowing.

zietho
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Spoiler: there will be a button in the UI (1.251) both on the list and the dashboard like: 

zietho_0-1663077970561.png

DanielS
DynaMight Champion
DynaMight Champion

Great, maybe I can ask my mom to update Dashboards. 😁

The true delight is in the finding out rather than in the knowing.

I could get kids to do 🙂

Dynatrace Certified Professional

zietho
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Yes, the migration capabilities lagged behind the features we added.

The last additions (axis settings, relationship filters, units) were added until sprint 1.251.

Starting with this sprint the upgrade should beable to deal with all your previous settings. 

If you find something with or after 1.251 please report it via a support ticket!

regards

Thomas

ct_27
DynaMight Mentor
DynaMight Mentor

We still use Logging v1.   Logging v1 still has a link that directs the user to Custom  Chart. Could someone please fix this link to not go to Custom Chart.  I've already opened a support case '#50316' for which DT said they would fix it but have no ETA on it.  Unfortunately they have already closed my support case without a full resolution.

I'd suggest this be fixed before 1.265.

ct_27_1-1663097670354.png

HigherEd

zietho
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion
Thank you for making me aware! Will raise this internally with my fellow colleagues from logs then!

Has anyone used the API to update all of their dashboards. Is there really any benefit of doing 1 by 1? We have a ton of dashboards that need updating and the API caught my eye. Anyone have issues with that? Issues as in either the update did not work or the update worked but maybe the metric expression behind the tile is a little off? I have no plans to update 1 by 1 if I can help it.