cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to add a multidimensional analysis chart to a dashboard?

skhandelwa
Newcomer

How to add multidimensional analysis charts to a dashboard? I get only the "save to service" option for these charts but I want to add them to my dashboard.

22 REPLIES 22

skrystosik
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

There is no such option right now

Sebastian

Regards, Sebastian

Mike_L
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

We are aware of the current limitation and are investigating how to best resolve it. Stay tuned for updates on our blog in the coming months.

Mike

hi Michael, any idea if this is coming still?

pahofmann
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

There also is a RFE for this.

Dynatrace Certified Master, AppMon Certified Master - Dynatrace Partner - 360Performance.net

This RFE exists for a year. The current opportunities of a dashbording even for 10% do not cover what was possible in AppMon. (Web & Client)

In the next months a lot of additional functionality is coming out in regards to dashboards. See this post for some of the features:

https://community.dynatrace.com/spaces/483/dynatrace-product-ideas/idea/181318/planned-enhancements-...

Mike

Sure, compared to appmon there are quite a few features missing in regards to dashboarding, a lot has happend in die latest versions though.

The RFE is 9 months old, but only has as many votes. If you come across missing features vote for it! That helps the PMs with priorization.

Dynatrace Certified Master, AppMon Certified Master - Dynatrace Partner - 360Performance.net

I agree with Alexander! Dashbording is quite poor. Customer asks us if it is possible to use ELK Kibana. Please dont kill me for mentioning ELK here 🙂

RomanW
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Nobody will kill you for that. In some specific scenarios we'd even advise you to do so. If you for instance wanted to build highly custom reports, you may consider leveraging our dedicated APIs. Nevertheless, for the 80 percent use cases, Dynatrace dashboards will suffice.

Speaking of APIs, we have major improvements in the pipeline in that regard as well!

RomanW
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Thanks @Patrick H. and @Michael L. for standing our ground here! 🙂

There was an obvious divide between AppMon's and Dynatrace's dashboarding capabilities in the past. This was a deliberate shift of paradigms. In the last couple of months we did introduce a number of important features to Dynatrace dashboards and have some big ones coming up in the next couple of months.

Following Mike's and Patrick's lead, please leave your feedback in the dashboard section of the forum, so we don' miss any of your input: https://community.dynatrace.com/spaces/483/dynatrace-product-ideas/idea/181318/planned-enhancements-...

Significant limitations should already be a thing of the past and I'd even predict that in 6 to 9 months from now, your evaluation will have shifted completely. That should be something to look forward to.

RomanW
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

please see https://community.dynatrace.com/spaces/483/dynatrace...

Things have evolved since our last statement. We'll introduce a possibility to "subscribe" to metrics/request attributes of a multidimensional analysis chart to have that subscribed metric available for charting and on dashboards. This might come to the product as early as end of Q2 this year.

alexandre_jorge
Newcomer

Any forecast of adjustment in this limitation?

urs_fischer
Helper

Does it give any news about Multidimensional Graphs on Dashboards?

This use case has been covered using the Custom Metrics:

Once you create your MDA, you have the possibility to click on "Custom Metric". Once it is created, you can put it on a dashboard. NOTE: Custom Metrics are limited and related to licenses. You can check how many of them you can create under your License Details.

Does not work with filters added

Hi John,

In order to answer at all, via custom metrics we can create specifical query (with dimension and filters belong to selected metrics) or we can also use "markdown" directly into dashboard and copy/paste mda link. 
It is true it exists a filter limitations into "mda" during the custom metric creation. For instance hierarchy filters, median aggregation. 

uros_djukic1_0-1638523364714.png

However, it exists workaround you can by now use request attribute as filter and create your custom metrics, you can also create "mda" for database instance, and not forget the excellent data explorer it offers you new possibilities thanks to SLO and code tab ! 
You can create new metrics in that way and generate custom alerts too. 

I want to track requests that all called from one endpoint to another.  You're saying, I would need to define a request attribute for those particular requests and use that as a filter?

For tracking two level exists : 
- At Application level (RUM : User actions) ==> Marked as Key user actions

- at Services level (Web requests) ==> Marked as Key Requests Monitor key requests | Dynatrace Documentation

About request attribute : it is used as key/value pairs that are associated with a particular service request (eg. capture metadata). You can for instance capture a specific parameter from a header request thanks to request attribute and apply as filter. But this operation would be limited to Process Group.

Moreover, if you want to track requests "flow" (one endpoint to another) , you can do it via Service Flow.

Hope it helps.

The application I'm referring to is an API.  It receives calls from various other applications.  I would like to be able to get response time/failure rate/etc. metrics for all requests calling these APIs split by where its coming from to be able to view this on a dashboard.  

Service flows and MDAs can currently show me this information, but I would really like to have this available on a dashboard.

@John_McLaughlin at the moment this is not possible MDA and ServiceFlows work on the service request level data (PurePaths), not on metrics data which can be pinned on dashboards. You can create calculated service metrics for your API service, unfortunately it's not possible to have a filter on calling or called services due to the nature how trace data collection works.

However, if you are able to filter your requests on your API service based on some other criteria such as Request Attribute, then you will be able to do it using calculated service metrics.

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

Hi

Now, Early adopter. That can pin on the dashboard.

Featured Posts