cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spin up dashboards for multiple devices based on a template

Larry_S
Helper

Hello!

I have a large number of devices being monitored by ActiveGate and I want to create a dashboard, for each device of the same basic dashboard, specific to each device. Is there a way to do this without manually cloning dashboards one by one?

5 REPLIES 5

Julius_Loman
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

Probably the best way is to use monaco tool where you can have a dashboard template and create a dashboard for each device. You will have a separate dashboard for each device.

You can also have a single dashboard and use Management Zone to filter only the devices you need in the dashboard. But you would need to create MZ for each device. You can also use monaco for that.
Unfortunately, since it's a custom device, you can't use dashboard dynamic filters as there is no suitable filter.

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

Larry_S
Helper

The creation if a MZ for each custom device is not feasible or reasonable, for us.  Thank you for your input, regardless.  I will research the "manaco tool", though to see if it suits our needs.

Larry_S
Helper

Is monaco something that I can use on my computer to push dashboards to Dynatrace?

I'm not sure of what skills I need to implement and use monoco?

Julius_Loman
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

@Larry_S exactly. Unfortunately, the monaco learning curve is not exactly flat, but let me give you an example.

I've attached a very basic monaco project for a single dashboard. Just unzip the attached zip to your computer, download the monaco binary.

First, you need to set up your environments.yaml file (sample included) to point to your Dynatrace environment. I use xxx12345 as a sample value. Also you need to name the environment variable from which monaco reads the API token for connecting to Dynatrace.

The project itself contains:

• yaml file describing dashboards and their parameters
  • json with the dashboard template

Monaco will create/update dashboard for each entry in the yaml with the values specified. This is how dashboard can be easily created and updated.

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

Larry_S
Helper

Thank you, Julius.  I will download and review. 🙂

Featured Posts