cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Defining UI of Custom Device through API

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

I'm used to defining the UI of Custom Devices that are created from ActiveGate extensions. It is defined nicely here:
https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/extend-dynatrace/extensions/development/extension-how-tos/cha...

I have had to create Custom Devices through an API, but cannot find how to define the UI neatly. Does anyone know of a reference how to do it?

Antonio Sousa
6 REPLIES 6

wolfgang_beer
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

Hi Antonio,

Here is the API

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/dynatrace-api/environment-api/topology-and-smartscape/custom-...

In the future we will offer a configuration that will allow you to automatically derive entities from metric and log ingest streams.

Best greetings,

Wolfgang

Hi @Wolfgang B.

I have no problem creating custom devices and attaching several variables.

What I miss is a way to define the UI as can be done in an ActiveGate extension, as the example below, taken from the link I referenced:

"ui": {
"charts": [
{
"group": "Trigonometric functions",
"title": "sinus",
"series": [
{
"key": "baseSin",
"aggregation": "avg",
"mergeaggregation": "avg",
"displayname": "basic sinus metric",
"seriestype": "line",
"color": "#00ff00",
"rightaxis": false,
"stacked": false
},
{
"key": "baseCos",
"aggregation": "avg",
"mergeaggregation": "avg",
"displayname": "basic cosinus metric",
"seriestype": "line",
"color": "#0000ff",
"rightaxis": true,
"stacked": false
}
]
},
{

Antonio Sousa

There is just the generic entity screen for those types of entities. The team is currently working on an improved UI for custom entity types.

Hi @Wolfgang B.

Ooops..

So, given that it is not possible, would you say it is possible to define a UI screen through an ActiveGate Extension, and than update it through the API?

Antonio Sousa

Hello @wolfgang_beer! Are there some updates on this area regarding Antonio's question?

The correct way to do it is to define a unified analysis screen. This can easiest be done in an Extension 2.0 YAML under the "screen" section. That way you have much more control over the UI than what was possible with the custom device screen.

Mike

Featured Posts