cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Looking to upgrade from Dynatrace Managed to SaaS? See how

Can't install Managed because "dynatrace doesn't have access to following directories: /tmp"

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

I'm trying to install Managed and get the following error during installation:

Dynatrace user dynatrace:dynatrace doesn't have access to following directories: /tmp - cannot access, /opt/dynatrace-managed - cannot access, /var/opt/dynatrace-managed - cannot access, /var/opt/dynatrace-managed/log - cannot access, /var/opt/dynatrace-managed/cassandra - cannot access, /var/opt/dynatrace-managed/elasticsearch - cannot access, /var/opt/dynatrace-managed/server - cannot access. Make sure they are accessible and permissions are granted properly.

I have tracked it down to several Linux "test"  commands failing. Directories are OK, and there are even things in there.

It looks like some PAM issue:

Jun 30 16:18:16 server runuser[9350]: pam_systemd(runuser-l:session): Cannot create session: Already running in a session or user slice
Jun 30 16:18:16 server runuser[9350]: pam_unix(runuser-l:session): session opened for user dynatrace by (uid=0)
Jun 30 16:18:26 server runuser[9372]: pam_systemd(runuser-l:session): Cannot create session: Already running in a session or user slice
Jun 30 16:18:26 server runuser[9372]: pam_unix(runuser-l:session): session opened for user dynatrace by (uid=0)

Also very similar to https://community.dynatrace.com/t5/Open-Q-A/Problem-with-server-upgrade/m-p/209975

Environment is RHEL 8.7, and there is sssd involved.
Any ideas, or has anyone gone through one of these?

Antonio Sousa
5 REPLIES 5

Radoslaw_Szulgo
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

@AntonioSousa first of all, what version are you trying to install? Does your Linux OS has SELinux enabled?

Senior Product Manager,
Dynatrace Managed expert

@Radoslaw_Szulgo,

Latest version. It did have SELinux enabled, but we disabled it.

Antonio Sousa

Radoslaw_Szulgo
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

Not sure if I've already seen a support ticket like that but for you Antonio, and others that hit this question:

In this case, I recommend disabling pam.d service.

How to disable PAM service?

Open the PAM configuration file in your preferred text editor. On most systems, you can do this in the built-in "nano" editor by typing "nano /etc/pam.conf."

Press "Enter," and on the very top line, write "skip-authentication". Save the document. PAM will no longer attempt to authenticate applications and will allow all requested services to run.

Senior Product Manager,
Dynatrace Managed expert

@Radoslaw_Szulgo 

In RHEL, there is only /etc/pam.d/

In any case, we have created a support ticket, and will post here when I find the cute Linux config affecting this 😉

Antonio Sousa

How to disable the su to root in Linux using PAM

vim /etc/pam.d/su

2. Uncomment this line:

auth required pam_wheel.so

and update it to:

auth required pam_wheel.so use_uid

`su` won't work anymore. If you would like to enable `su` for other users, then adjust i to:

auth required pam_wheel.so deny group=nosu

Senior Product Manager,
Dynatrace Managed expert

Featured Posts