cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to shutdown a server gracefully?

kwangxi
Contributor

Hi,

Does anyone know the proper way (gracefully) of shutting down a server?

Overview:

• AIX server was shut down for maintenance purposes.
  • one agent is not running after restarting the server, later it was due to endpoint corruption which has been claimed was due to the server being shut down ungracefully.

Problems:

Below are the shutdown methods I have tried:

-Shutdown via virtual manager
-Command shutdown
-Command sudo shutdown
-Command poweroff
-Command init0
-Command shutdown -P +1

Conclusion:

1. I wish to understand the proper way of shutting down the server which will return as SHUTDOWN not OFFLINE.
  2. And also how Dynatrace classifies graceful and ungrateful shutdowns although we are using the correct shutdown events as per above.
4 REPLIES 4

SureshK
Frequent Guest

This is really good question. I too want to understand this. Appreciate is someone from Dynatrace product team can pick this up. 

chris_oggeri
Participant

Hello @kwangxi,

Can you share details about the endpoints corruption?

We have similar issues since few months after the restart or some servers and the corruption of files like deployment.conf.

Thanks for your help.

danielD
Dynatrace Helper
Dynatrace Helper

Hello,

One thing you'd want to make sure you rule out is the part in the documentation shared about "alerting on graceful shutdown" and making sure that setting is turned off. 

danielD_0-1679337773164.png

Kenny_Gillette
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

What I got from Doc on this: https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/platform/davis-ai/anomaly-detection/adjust-sensitivity-anomal....

By default, Dynatrace alerts only about unexpected outages.

• During a graceful shutdown, the host outage is expected and the operating system has sent a shutdown signal notifying OneAgent that an operator is intentionally shutting down the host.
  • If OneAgent receives no shutdown signal, the shutdown is classified as unexpected.

You can opt-in to receive notifications about graceful shutdowns as well.

Dynatrace Certified Professional

Featured Posts