cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

List of Hosts connected to an ActiveGate

PedroDeodato
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

Haven't found this one on the Documentation yet, so thought it would be nice to post it here.

It is now possible to know which ActiveGate is an host using to send information to Dynatrace.

The other way round is also possible: is possible to get the list of hosts connected to a specific ActiveGate.

When you head over to Deployment Status, first you'll see the ActiveGate used on each host:

PedroDeodato_0-1643037248304.png

As you can see, when the host communicates directly with the tenant (no ActiveGate involved), the list shows "none (direct communicaton)".

When an host is communicating with an ActiveGate, not only does it show the ActiveGate's name on this view, but that name is clickable as well.

When clicked, the UI is redirected to the ActiveGate list, filtered by that ActiveGate's ID:

PedroDeodato_1-1643037434523.png

Either by continuing from there or  access the ActiveGates list initially, there is also the way to know the list of hosts connected to each ActiveGate.

Just expand the info on a listed ActiveGate and see "Number of currently connected hosts":

PedroDeodato_2-1643037653369.png

As you can see, the number is also a clickable link.

When clicked, it redirects you to the host list, filtered by the selected ActiveGate:

PedroDeodato_3-1643037788467.png

Obviously, you do not need to rely on all these interactions to get there.

You can just access the Filters field on the OneAgents list, select "ActiveGate used by host" and manually select the ActiveGate to filter the complete host list:

PedroDeodato_4-1643037918285.png

So many ways to put this new info to good use!

Best regards, Pedro Deodato
10 REPLIES 10

D_Miller
Advisor

Is this connection count metric in the Data Explorer? Just having a quick look and it doesn't appear to be. 

Getting counts like this on a Dashboard would be very useful

dannemca
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Great tip.

Also, for those interested into only the current number of connections, you can use the API:
https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/dynatrace-api/environment-api/activegates/activegate-info/get...

Site Reliability Engineer @ Kyndryl

Malaik
DynaMight Champion
DynaMight Champion

Thanks @PedroDeodato 

What mean if no ActiveGate is used?

Is it a problem, or investigation need to be done?

Sharing Knowledge

theharithsa
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

HI @Malaik 
That means there is a direct communication between OneAgent and Dynatrace. If it is not communicating to ActiveGate even when it is installed, then taking OneAgent service restart will fix the communication. 

Love more, hate less; Technology for all, together we grow.

islam_zidan
Champion

Thanks @PedroDeodato 

I believe this will be useful while troubleshooting a connectivity issue, also to track the balancing status.

Dynatrace Certified Professional - Dynatrace Partner - Yourcompass.ca

DanielS
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Great Tip, @PedroDeodato also I leave here the link to how to use Networks Zones to configure which OA should use which ActiveGate.

The true delight is in the finding out rather than in the knowing.

rbeguin
Observer

Hello, is it possible to get the host list by activegate via API ?
Because it's not easy to have list with IHM like described when you have lot of host.
Thanks.

I have same question about identifying all hosts connected to an active gate. My use case is to test the impact to monitoring if a particular activegate fails. Also to identify traffic pattern of global hosts connecting to regional activegates.

theharithsa
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Hi @PedroDeodato 

This is great spot from you. It is a nice feature to use. Instead of going to network Zones and check the communication, we can now directly check from Deployment page.

Love more, hate less; Technology for all, together we grow.

ct_27
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

@D_Miller , love it, that's precisely where my mind went right away.  Building an Admin level dashboard of ActiveGate health. Metric data like this would be perfect.

I don't see the metrics either. Lots of other dsfm:active_gate metrics but i believe these are more Extension 2.0 monitoring..  Yeah, not seeing this metric.

HigherEd

Featured Posts