Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ActiveGate remote plugin Python dependency - module not found

r_weber
DynaMight Champion
DynaMight Champion

Hello,

I found various posts on python module dependencies, most of them related to OneAgent plugins and direct dependencies. I'm trying to build a AG remote plugin where the python module that the plugin depends on (ExasolDatabaseConnector) has another dependency to the pyodbc module.

In the remoteplugin logs (and the UI) I'm getting an error that the module is not found:

2020-11-23 22:28:00.893 UTC [e4c298f2] info    [native] 140681196791552(ThreadPoolExecutor-0_8) - [event_set_configuration] event_set_configuration, plugin: <RemotePluginEngine, meta_name:custom.remote.python.exasol id:0x7ff308cf7898> config: {'host': 'http://0.0.0.0:8769'}
2020-11-23 22:28:00.896 UTC [e4c298f2] severe  [native] 140681196791552(ThreadPoolExecutor-0_8) - [set_full_status] No module named 'pyodbc'
 Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/opt/dynatrace/remotepluginmodule/agent/plugin/engine.zip/ruxit/plugin_state_machine.py", line 340, in _execute_next_task
     self._query_plugin()
   File "/opt/dynatrace/remotepluginmodule/agent/plugin/engine.zip/ruxit/plugin_state_machine.py", line 667, in _query_plugin
     self._plugin_run_data = self._create_plugin_run_data()
   File "/opt/dynatrace/remotepluginmodule/agent/plugin/engine.zip/ruxit/plugin_state_machine.py", line 640, in _create_plugin_run_data
     plugin_module = importlib.import_module(self.metadata["source"]["package"])
   File "/opt/dynatrace/remotepluginmodule/agent/plugin/python3.6/importlib/__init__.py", line 126, in import_module
     return _bootstrap._gcd_import(name[level:], package, level)
   File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 994, in _gcd_import
   File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 971, in _find_and_load
   File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 955, in _find_and_load_unlocked
   File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 665, in _load_unlocked
   File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap_external>", line 678, in exec_module
   File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 219, in _call_with_frames_removed
   File "/opt/dynatrace/remotepluginmodule/plugin_deployment/custom.remote.python.exasol/dynatrace_activegate_exasol_plugin.py", line 4, in <module>
     from ExasolDatabaseConnector import Database
   File "/opt/dynatrace/remotepluginmodule/plugin_deployment/custom.remote.python.exasol/ExasolDatabaseConnector/__init__.py", line 3, in <module>
     from ExasolDatabaseConnector.ExaOdbcDriver.FindDriver   import GetDriverName
   File "/opt/dynatrace/remotepluginmodule/plugin_deployment/custom.remote.python.exasol/ExasolDatabaseConnector/ExaOdbcDriver/__init__.py", line 2, in <module>
     import pyodbc
 ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'pyodbc'

Regardless of if I add only the Exasol Database python module or also the pyodbc module as a requirement in the plugin.json file. The module is not found:

"source": {
"package": "dynatrace_activegate_exasol_plugin",
  "className": "ExasolPluginRemote",
  "install_requires": ["pyodbc>=4.0.30","ExasolDatabaseConnector>=0.1.7"],
  "activation": "Remote"
},

I'm building the plugin in a python venv directly on the ActiveGate and the build/deployment succeeds. It seems that the pyodbc module creates some native libraries. Could that be a problem?

Here is the log (build_plugin.txt ) of the plugin build command.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Reinhard

Certified Dynatrace Master, Dynatrace Partner - 360Performance.net
4 REPLIES 4

maciej_grynda
Dynatrace Helper
Dynatrace Helper

Hi Reinhard!

Try building plugin on Python3.6 venv instead on Python3.7 - native dependencies are not compatible with other minor versions, and we use Python3.6 to run extensions

Maciek

Make sure that you use the 64 bit version of Python 3.6.

Mike

Hi Maciej,

thanks! I didn't think about that! Switching to python3.6 was the solution. I've switched my build docker container to 3.6 and that worked fine. Maybe that dependency is worth a note in the AG plugin documentation, since many distros are already switching to more recent versions of python. Especially since the documentation recommends to build directly on Activegates this might not be obvious to people.

Thanks again! My Exasol Plugin is on the way!

Reinhard

Certified Dynatrace Master, Dynatrace Partner - 360Performance.net

Reinhard, hello! Thanks for feedback! We actually mention it in the hands-on tutorial, but I agree this could be surfaced better. Will work on it. https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/shortlink/activegate-extensions-tutorial#prepare-your-environ...

Thanks!

Jarek

Dynatrace Doc team

Featured Posts