cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DB Query Extension with DB2 for IBM i Series (AS400)

jose_araya
Helper

Hello! 

I have tried to configure the Custom DB Query Extension against a DB2 for i Database but we haven't been able to make it work.

Using the DB2 JTOpen driver we encounter the following error:

Error running queries: Could not connect to the database using com.ibm.db2.jcc.DB2Driver: com.ibm.db2.jcc.am.SqlSyntaxErrorException: [jcc][t4][10509][13454][4.25.25] Connection to the data server failed. The IBM Data Server for JDBC and SQLJ license was invalid or was not activated for the DB2 for z/OS subsystem. If you are connecting directly to the data server and using DB2 Connect Unlimited Edition for System z, perform the activation step by running the activation program in the license activation kit. If you are using any other edition of DB2 Connect, obtain the license file, db2jcc_license_cisuz.jar, from the license activation kit, and follow the installation directions to include the license file in the class path. ERRORCODE=-4230, SQLSTATE=42968

Is there any restriction for DB2 running on i Series with this extension?

Where do we need to put that .jar file that the exception refers to?

Thank you very much!

4 REPLIES 4

Julius_Loman
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

Yes you need the license file (jar) to put on the classpath. 
For this Custom DB query extension, did you try to put it into jars directory of the extension on the ActiveGate? e.g.:

plugin_deployment/custom.remote.python.dbquery/jars

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

Hi Julius! Thanks for your reply!

We will do that as soon as we procure the .jar file required!

Hi Julius/Jose.

I´m trying to do the same as you.

In my case, our IBM iSeries DB2 Databases need this JDBC File: jt400-10.4.jar to connect to them.

I have copied the File: jt400-10.4.jar to this Path in the ActiveGate:

/opt/dynatrace/remotepluginmodule/plugin_deployment/custom.remote.python.dbquery/jars

but it didn´t work for me.

On the other hand, I´ve tried to add the JDBC Connection String in the Field: "(Optional) JDBC - Connection String" in the Endpoint Settings as follows:

juanjo_garcia_0-1690716015278.png

but it didn´t work for me.

My question is: Is it possible to add a custom .jar to the Dynatrace "Generic DB Query Plugin Extension" ?

Regards.

Hi @juanjo_garcia in our case the client had to locate the DB2 Connect License from the IBM Passport Advantage website with the proper user.

In that DB2 Connect License package comes the db2jcc_license_cisuz.jar file. 

Then we just had to put that jar in the path

plugin_deployment/custom.remote.python.dbquery/jars

That's a folder inside the ActiveGate. You just have to drop that license jar there and that resolved our error, we currently have several IBM i DB2 databases being monitored with this extension, querying them to report metrics.

Additional important info

Plugin version in use is  Generic DB Query Plugin 3.2.2

When configuring the endpoint we're using:

Database Type = DB2

Port = 446

We're not using a connection string.

---------------------

About using any other custom jar, I would assume yes, in that location, but the error code should point you to the exact jar file. In case of IBM i DB2 databases you need the db2jcc_license_cisuz.jar as the error explicitly indicates.

Best regards,

Jose

Featured Posts