cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to monitoring JMS queue depths without the need for custom metrics?

larry_roberts
DynaMight Champion
DynaMight Champion

Is it possible to monitoring JMS queue depths without the need for custom metrics?

This is one thing that has bothered since I have used Dynatrace. I have never understood why queue metrics such as queue depths and more are not out of the box as it seems somewhat of a given. The documentation around such things are very vague. Docs talk about things such as JMS, Tibco EMS, Rabbit MQ, etc., but nothing in terms of the metrics within them such as queue depth.

Now we are trying to monitor some JMS queue depths and finding that we may need to head towards custom metrics for it. The problem I have with all this is that if I needed my metrics to all be custom, I could have just stayed with GEN2 monitoring. These types of metrics should be baked into the detected technologies.

3 REPLIES 3

rmeli
Participant

I would agree. All the other monitoring tools I have used provide all these metrics OOB.

mallempati_sree
Inactive

Dynatrace doesn't even support MSMQ which is strange

Yeah, it's very odd to me that these types of metrics are not captured. The only thing I can think of is that it's a profit thing. Meaning that custom metrics must be used to bring in those metrics. I can see no other reason for it.