cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle database extension - No ability to scale deployment beyond 10 targets?

Phil_Broughton
Visitor

So a complete novice question from a newbie.

We have 500 oracle databases we would like to hook up for monitoring by Dynatrace. Using Oracle Extensions, this appears to limit us to just 10 "configurations (databases)"

What am I missing or is this simply a limitation of the extension 2.0 architecture?

8 REPLIES 8

Mizső
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Hi @Phil_Broughton,

Maybe @dglugla could answer your question.

You can use this feedback channel:

Re: Feedback channel for the Database monitoring extensions - Dynatrace Community

I hope it helps. Have a nice day.

Best regards,

Mizső

Dynatrace Community RockStar 2024, Certified Dynatrace Professional

MateuszKacprzak
Dynatrace Helper
Dynatrace Helper

Hi @Phil_Broughton,

You can have 10 configurations but in each configuration you can configure up to 100 Oracle endpoints.

The limitation there is that defining e.g. 100 endpoints in one configuration, they must all be accessible from the ActiveGate, on which this extension is enabled.

Best regards,

Mateusz

@MateuszKacprzak Thanks, but where is that doc'd? All I am seeing is that a configuration = 1 database connection, I don't see anything about endpoints? I am using the DB Extension for Oracle here...

Mizső
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Hi @Phil_Broughton,

This is my understading. Here is the documentation about it:

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/shortlink/extend-oracle#step-2

Mizs_1-1666620673606.png

Best regards,

Mizső

That's great, but doesn't then permit with any ease whatsoever the ability to remove or add an endpoint to an existing configuration once created. It looks like you have to drop all and start over which isn't flexible enough. 

You can click on ✏️ button and modify existing configuration. Then you can add or remove existing endpoints.

Need to be able to do this using Rest-API rather than UI. Not sure that is possible, but will dig around. Fear is we have to drop/recreate over and over and over which is highly disruptive and losses historic data. We create alot of db services (cookie cutting/cloud service etc).

Hi @Phil_Broughton,

You can do it VIA the collection of Rest API and with it you can automate. You only need a proper Auth token.

With the highlighted POST you can create an extension configuration with up to 100 endponint. You need to extend an exapmle JSON with the endpoint. With the highlighted PUT you can modify an existing configuration. 

Mizs_0-1666632415885.png

On the GUI during the endpoint configuration you can see the required JSON which can be used at the POST (curl is created which can be use later or for the automation).

Mizs_1-1666633142102.png

I have already attached the screenshots about the mentioned POST.

Best reagrads,

Mizső

Featured Posts