cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Passing a device specific value in Extension 2.0 SNMP

nbb006
Observer

I am using the the Extension 2.0 SNMP extension.

Is it possible to pass in a device specific value in the monitoring configuration?
For example I may have 10 different SNMP endpoints defined in the monitoring configuration. For each of those devices I would like to define a device specific value.

I know that variables can be defined for the entire monitoring configuration but that is not what I want. I want to be able to do it in the device level.

Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

@nbb006  Have you found a solution for your problem? If no, can you clarify a little bit more about your needs. I'm also in this process, so might try to help  😊

Antonio Sousa

david_lopes
Dynatrace Mentor
Dynatrace Mentor

Can you give us an example of what that value per device might be, and why using a different monitoring configuration (instead of having all devices using the same configuration) won't work?

Might not be a question of not working, but otherwise. One case might be devices (eg. switches) that have 48 ports, and you are using only 12, and don't want to use 4x DDUs than needed...

I'm still imaging the best way to get around this, am trying to see if I can only upload data from interfaces that are being used...

Antonio Sousa

I see, you can still have a monitoring configuration that filters interfaces by status, example:

- subgroup: f5-sys-interface-stat
        featureSet: interface
        table: true
        dimensions:
          - key: interface.name
            value: oid:1.3.6.1.4.1.3375.2.1.2.4.4.3.1.1
            filter: var:interface-name-filter
          - key: interface.status
            value: oid:1.3.6.1.4.1.3375.2.1.2.4.1.2.1.17
            filter: var:interface-status-filter
        metrics:
          - key: com.dynatrace.extension.f5.bigip.sys.interface.stat.bytes.in
            value: oid:1.3.6.1.4.1.3375.2.1.2.4.4.3.1.3
            type: count
          - key: com.dynatrace.extension.f5.bigip.sys.interface.stat.bytes.out
            value: oid:1.3.6.1.4.1.3375.2.1.2.4.4.3.1.5
          - key: com.dynatrace.extension.f5.bigip.sys.interface.stat.pkts.in
            value: oid:1.3.6.1.4.1.3375.2.1.2.4.4.3.1.2
          - key: com.dynatrace.extension.f5.bigip.sys.interface.stat.pkts.out
            value: oid:1.3.6.1.4.1.3375.2.1.2.4.4.3.1.4
          - key: com.dynatrace.extension.f5.bigip.sys.interface.stat.drops.in
            value: oid:1.3.6.1.4.1.3375.2.1.2.4.4.3.1.10
          - key: com.dynatrace.extension.f5.bigip.sys.interface.stat.drops.out
            value: oid:1.3.6.1.4.1.3375.2.1.2.4.4.3.1.11
          - key: com.dynatrace.extension.f5.bigip.sys.interface.stat.errors.in
            value: oid:1.3.6.1.4.1.3375.2.1.2.4.4.3.1.8
          - key: com.dynatrace.extension.f5.bigip.sys.interface.stat.errors.out
            value: oid:1.3.6.1.4.1.3375.2.1.2.4.4.3.1.9

Documented here: https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/extend-dynatrace/extensions20/snmp-extensions/#filters

So you could set the var interface-status-filter to "1" to monitor statistics only for interfaces that are UP.

And you can still monitor interface status (UP/DOWN/DISABLED) for all interfaces, by having that metric in a different sub group

Nice. Going to try it out for the generic if MIB 😀

Antonio Sousa

ct_27
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

I'm also interested in learning how to label or name. We created a custom SNMP extension for Zinwave devices.  We want to add multiple devices but when we create graphs and do analysis we need to see the devices with a custom name that meaning something to us.   The IP or the detected DNS are not meaningful enough.  

for example below we would like to provide a cosmetic name such as '150 court street' then add another device with a cosmetic name of '200 elm street'.  This helps us dispatch people when the device has a problem.

ct_27_0-1646461306466.png

At the moment, because we don't have many devices we're hijacking the configuration layer to provide the custom names we want and putting only one device in each configuration.

ct_27_2-1646461757559.png

HigherEd

Mike_L
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

If there is no OID that makes sense and creating one configuration per device isn't doable you could always send in your own metric ingest lines with a dimension that you'd map to the device. It'd take some changing of the extension or the generic entity configuration though.

Mike

Featured Posts