cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About User type "Robots" in Application performance analysis

Hi all,

Could I ask you two questions about "Robots" as below?

<Q1>

In Application performance analysis, how does Dynatrace recognize User type "Robots"? Is it IP address?

<Q2>

And, on the Application performance analysis, can I check the IP address of Robots?

8 REPLIES 8

skrystosik
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

I think this is done by useragent mostly. I didn't see any option to determine that traffic from certain IP is robot.

Sebastian

Regards, Sebastian

Joe_Hoffman
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

As Sebastian stated, robots are detected by their UserAgent string.

Even robots have IP addresses, and this can be found when you drill into the User Session data and look at individual sessions. To filter into just Robots, in the top Filtered By field, enter "User Type" with 'robots' as the value.

Julius_Loman
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

Any idea how to add a specific user agent string to the list of robots?

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

I don't think it's possible right now. Maybe RFE?

Regards, Sebastian

Joe_Hoffman
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

As Sebastian said, it's not possible thru the user GUI. If you find a robot that is not being recognized properly, open a support ticket and we can initiate a change to the Robot database to have them properly recognized.

Actually, I deal with identification of robots that are performing synthetic tests using various testing tools (Selenium, TestComplete) that in fact are running real browsers. Albeit changing the user-agent string in the browsers is possible, there is no method how to define a custom user agent string as bot. Seems as a valid RFE.

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

jiri_kurejko
Organizer

I asked Support about this some time ago, Dynatrace uses the Udger database of user agents to mark certain agents as robots. Feel free to contact Udger directly at https://udger.com/

philippe_pathe
Visitor

Some editors use Udger to block robots including those for legitimate monitoring... So, sometimes,  it's not an acceptable solution for a monitoring provider... 😞 

Why not add a configuration section to configure specific user-agent to indentify a robot for Dynatrace only ?

Featured Posts