cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ActiveGate (Windows vs Linux)

Vakho
Helper

Hello, 
 I'm just curious if anyone knows or has experience that installing ActiveGate on Windows was more beneficial than installing on Linux, and what was the case? or why people might use Windows over Linux? 

Any thoughts?  

7 REPLIES 7

natanael_mendes
Champion

hey, its the same function across these OS, but some architecture of appliaction are made in linux or in windows and you can choose which OS you want to use.

Theres no difference

Dynatrace Professional Certified

Yeah, that's what I thought as well. But wasn't sure for 100%. Thanks Natanael 👍

Thanks @Vakho, if i helped you, you can mark the answer as solution. Any doubts feel free to ask

Dynatrace Professional Certified

ChadTurner
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

From what I've seen is, Dynatrace Support would rather see you leverage Linux, But organization permission scopes seem to be the point of contention where Dynatrace Admins will opt for Windows over Linux for unrestricted access. So ultimately if falls down on your organization. Each organization I worked for had Windows AGs because the Linux team wouldn't give us full access to the device. 

-Chad

Hey Chad, 
 Yeah, great point. Thank you for sharing this. 

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

@Vakho,

First of all, great question!

My favorite answer: it depends! Some quick ideas of experience from the past:

• If it's about routing traffic, select the same type of OS of your Organization. I'm seeing more and more problems among network stacks, so stick with whatever type of OSs you are mainly monitoring.
  • If you are running extensions, especially v1, stick with Linux. Some extensions even have binary code dependencies, and they won't work easily in Windows. I've had major extension problems when running them in Windows. This is not true though if you are going to use WMI, where you will need a Windows AG for that.
  • If you are doing synthetics, stick with Windows. Network timeouts, DNS resolutions and a lot of other things depend on the OS. If you consider that there are typically much more users on Windows than Linux, it will give you a better picture. If your Organization is mainly Linux and you are monitoring inside applications, of course it would be the other way around.
Antonio Sousa

Oh wow!! That's a priceless experience, Antonio! Thank you.! 
Yeah, despite that I consider myself a Linux person, seems a lot of organizations are still running Windows servers. And of course WMI part might be very important. 
Thank you for sharing your valuable experience with us.🤜🤛

Featured Posts