cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configure SLO on specific key request, instead of that service as-a-whole

waikeat_chan
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

Anyway I can configure SLO on specific key request, instead of that service as-a-whole?

Best Regards,

Wai Keat

22 REPLIES 22

Yosi_Neuman
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Hi @waikeat_chan 

You can add filter to the metric to to pick the key request you are looking for.

Yosi_Neuman_0-1615126055776.png

The filter will look something like:

builtin:apps.other.keyUserActions.count.osAndApdex:filter(eq(dt.entity.device_application_method,"DEVICE_APPLICATION_METHOD-B60A00B9A3831556")):splitBy(dt.entity.device_application_method):sum:auto

More information about filter transformation can be found in documentation 

HTH

Yos 

dynatrace certificated professional - dynatrace master partner - Matrix Soft Ware Division - Israel

Hi, how can I build SLO Latency using built in metric? , we have already achieved the availability, but we can't find the way to count the requests that a method responds in less than 5s.

The_AM
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

You will be looking for the metric(s) for Response Time. Please see the glossary on the definition here: https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/get-started/glossary/#expand-response-time-72

Note that, usually in Dynatrace, when we use the term 'latency' we are specifically relating to a certain component of response time, such as network latency. Whereas overall service transaction time is response time.

Regards,
Andrew M.

The_AM
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Hi Wai Keat,

Yes, this is possible. It doesn't even need to be a request marked as key request. It just needs to be a metric.
For this you can create a calculated service metric (from the service, click on the chart option for the request, then 'create metric' from the multi-dimensional analysis view).

There's actually a walkthrough that makes this use case as an example in the "Getting Started with SLOs in Dynatrace" performance clinic webinar. You may watch this explanation either within Dynatrace University or on Youtube.

Starts from 26min mark if you're in a hurry

Hope that helps.

Andrew

Regards,
Andrew M.

The only concern with creating metrics is that customers do care about their DDU's license that creation of metrics do consume, while creating key user action and using built in metric is free of DDU charge. 

Yos 

dynatrace certificated professional - dynatrace master partner - Matrix Soft Ware Division - Israel

Malaik
DynaMight Champion
DynaMight Champion

Hi @The_AM 
The new features is not the same as the one used in the University, we lost a lot of parameters...

Can we have details about how we can create the same SLOs shown in the videos with the actual features?

Thanks

Sharing Knowledge

The_AM
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

If the video seems not quite up-to-date with current, I would suggest to review the documentation here: https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/shortlink/objectives-hub

It's often quicker for the Dynatrace docs team to update the online documentation, since review and re-recording of training videos takes longer and the SLO feature is still evolving and improving over time.

Regards,
Andrew M.

nick_hurt
Dynatrace Participant
Dynatrace Participant

To add further to this,

Calculated service metrics can be created using conditionals on request name or request type (among others). A calculated service metric can then be used as a single metric or included as the numerator/denominator for SLO creation.

james_moriarty
Visitor

This needs to be better documented as is standard SLO/SLI practice. We've managed to get it working but found it was incompatible with the "SLO filter" when using calc service metrics. We also couldn't filter by status code without a calc service metric:

e.g. Latency SLI

<custom success metrics/filter service, endpoint, availability, and latency>
/
builtin:service.keyRequest.count.server:filter(eq("dt.entity.service_method","SERVICE_METHOD-XXX"))

**EDIT**

e.g. Availability SLI

builtin:service.keyRequest.errors.server.successCount
/
builtin:service.keyRequest.count.server

SLO filter: type("SERVICE_METHOD") AND entityId("SERVICE_METHOD-XXX")

cc/ @wolfgang_heider 

Hi, Wolfang.

I'm having problem with metrics for SLO calculation based on keyRequest usingentityId("SERVICE_METHOD-XXX") change over time which causes the SLO to break, if I do it using entitySelector("type(service),entityName(~"createEvent~") in the filter the problem of duplicate names is presented, and when trying to add in the entitySelector for example the controller does not bring data. This generates that when the METHOD_ID changes it is necessary to adjust the dashboard again and in some cases it does not work with that either.

I would appreciate if someone has had this problem and has managed to mitigate it somehow.

Thanks.

Hi @Kenny ,

if there is a change in the entityId identifier for a key request, then it is in fact a new key request. Unless there is an architectural change (host group has changed) or deployment change in the application, the entityId will not change.

Technically you should be able to enter entityselector using entityName and leveraging the relationships.  For example:

type(service_method),entityName("/my/request/name"),fromRelationships.isServiceMethodOfService(entityId(SERVICE-5D1E8D73D43E6F7D))

This will return key requests which contain "/my/request/name" in the name and are on the service with the ID specified.

Anyway - I recommend finding out why your SERVICE_METHOD ID had changed.  It should not.

Julius

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

Thanks @Julius_Loman .

It works for me for example for availability SLO as follows:

(100)*((builtin:service.keyRequest.errors.fivexx.successCount:filter(eq(eq(dt.entity.service_method, "SERVICE_METHOD-XXX")):splitBy())/
(builtin:service.keyRequest.count.server:filter(eq(dt.entity.service_method, "SERVICE_METHOD-XXX")):splitBy()))))

We are analyzing why we lose in some cases the SERVICE_METHOD_ID since they are not all, for the case of availability we only change the metric of good event by a calculated one and it also makes it perfect, we only have to determine the origin of the loss of KeyRequest

@Kenny hard to tell - most likely there has been a change in deployment and Dynatrace considers even the service as a different one. I'd suggest to choose a long timeframe in the global time selector so it spans the time when the "old" keyrequest was present as well as the new one. Look at the process group. I'd bet you will see two services with the same name.

Hi Julius.

Totally correct your observation, we will be following up on what produces the splitting of the microservice information.

Thank you very much for your support.

Kenny.

You are welcome @Kenny ,

if it's not something confidential, share your findings here with others.

Julius

Hi @Julius_Loman.

The problem was being generated because we ran out of free IP in cloudNat and we had to restart the POD, by doing this some artifacts were changing the SERVICE_ID and its traceability in Dynatrace.

All the best.

wolfgang_heider
Dynatrace Advisor
Dynatrace Advisor

Thanks a lot for the feedback!
I already triggered to improve docs with your help/feedback/examples
and we think about how to make the filtering more self-explanatory.
The SLO filter would apply for both metrics and for the custom calc metric, there is only the dimension of the service.
This will change with a new query syntax for metrics (coming along with calculated metrics), which will also be part of the SLO setup then. There it becomes more clear, what is possible (to filter) on the individual metric queries and makes the overall setup easier.

Hi Wolfang.

I'm with the same problem, with calculated metrics I could build latency SLO, but this generates licensing costs but with the builtin metrics I have not been able to do it, only for the availability SLOs by services and KeyRequest

Malaik
DynaMight Champion
DynaMight Champion

Hello All,

Im searching for the same.

Building the SLO for Availability, Response time... for a specific Request without making KeyRequest and Without creating a calculated Metric.

Is it possible?

Thanks and good day.

Sharing Knowledge

HIi @Malaik ,

this is not possible. At least in current Dynatrace versions. SLOs work on metrics only. You won't have the metric (Response time for example) for a single request unless you mark it as a key request or you create the calculated service metric.

The_AM
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Also, this should now be easier to implement as code, since there is now a key requests REST API for web and mobile apps.

For example: https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/dynatrace-api/configuration-api/rum/web-application-configura...

Regards,
Andrew M.

derija
Participant

Hello,

Fast forward 2 years. We also are using keyRequests to mark the success on a specific java method as in:

builtin:service.keyRequest.successes.server.rate:filter(and(or(in("dt.entity.service_method",entitySelector("type(service_method),entityName.equals(~"getSomeData~")"))))):splitBy()

This works great but we run our VM's as Immutable Cattle, So when a NEW deployment occurs the KeyRequest is lost as it is tied to Outgoing Service entity ID.  The NEW VM is now under a NEW service entity ID and will require another "Mark as Key Request" to occur before Seeing in SLO. Even adding the SplitBy bridges the timeline but not any data untill the Mark as Key Request occurs again on new entity. This requires manual toil and automation outside of the event. Would making them Metrics (with DDU impact) resolve this permanently? Are there Other ways to accomplish This?

Featured Posts