cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a Management Zone rule that can detect all Services under HOST

abnerlusung
Advisor

Hi all,

Our team are performing installing OneAgent to EC2 instances.

After installation, it successfully integrated giving details about the EC2 instances and the Services and Processes inside.

Let's say, we did this in three AWS Accounts, thus we have one EC2 instances on each.

The next step is to create a Management Zone for each AWS Account.

It means, MZ1 can see the Host , Services, Processes from AWS Account 1 and so on and so forth.

Our question is, how to create a Rule which can match all the Services / Processes under the HOST?

One example of Services under my HOST is SpringBoot. Is it possible for the Service to inherit the tags from the HOST?

Best Regards,

Abner

11 REPLIES 11

AntonPineiro
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Hi,

You have more than one way to do it but I like tagging processes under certains conditions, and turn on those flags:

AntonPineiro_0-1697629410259.png

Those automatic tags would be applied to processes, hosts and services.

And you can create MZ for entitites with that tag.

You can read best practices for tagging.

Best regards

❤️ Emacs ❤️ Vim ❤️ Bash ❤️ Perl

We answered at the same moment xD it's called synchro 😂

Have a nice day!

Hi @AntonPineiro ,

May I kindly request for the link because the original one is not working.

Thanks

radek_jasinski
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Hi @abnerlusung 

Best practice is to create MZ or TAG rules for the Process Group. You can then specify that propagation to services and hosts should occur within this rule.

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/manage/access-control/management-zones/management-zone-rules

This is best practice because when you configure a rule per service for example, it may not always work because the service may not always be active.

Of course, additional rules may need to be added - however, in such a case as you have written this rule on Process Group should suffice.

Radek

Have a nice day!

Hi @radek_jasinski ,

Can you elaborate with relation to my example?

How can my Spring Boot Service can have a tagging rule relationship with my EC2 (Installed OneAgent)?

I very much appreciate your replies. Thank you so much.

I understand that the Spring Boot service is running on the same EC2 where you installed the agent?

Have a nice day!

Yes. And When I create Management Zone Rule.

Hosts where AWS name tag equals "hostname". It does not detect the Spring Boot Service.

So I need to add a new rule again for the Spring Boot Service.

Rule1 - For Host (Hosts where tag name = "abc")

Rule2- For Service (Service where Detected service name = "def")

I was expecting, Dynatrace can detect the Service under the Host. Something like:

Rule 1 - For Host, (Auto detect Service)

I hope I explained my issue clearly.

Thank you,

Abner

Hi,

You can try to tag processes where host group is XXXX and mark on those flags. Then, all hosts, processes and services with that host group would be tagged.

And then, you can create a management zone where processes, hosts and services have that tag.

Best regards

❤️ Emacs ❤️ Vim ❤️ Bash ❤️ Perl

Just to add, when adding Monitored Entity > Hosts. This is an option

• Apply to processes on running matching hosts

and when adding Monitored Entity > Service. These are the options

• Apply to underlying hosts of matching services
  • Apply to underlying process groups of matching services

I don't understand why Rule Host can only apply processes and Rule Service can apply on Hosts?

Should the Rule Host can also apply for the Services?

Hi,

In general, Dynatrace recommends using Host-based tagging rules as little as possible. For large environments, this results in a large number of configuration variables that you have to maintain. As I mentioned focus on defining tags based on Process Groups and extend tag rule to services and hosts. Process Groups are the key building blocks of most modern web applications.

It is not possible to propagate tags from a host to a service because in our model the hosts are on the infrastructure layer. 

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/shortlink/smartscape

Here you have a good example: https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/shortlink/tagging#rule-examples-for-defining-automatically-ap...

Have a nice day!

Featured Posts