cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is CPU saturation really calculated?

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

The documentation says:

By default, Dynatrace alerts when average CPU usage is higher than 95% in 3 of 5 consecutive one-minute intervals or when usage is higher than 90% in a single five-minute interval.

But, when we look at how we define custom settings for the CPU saturation settings, it seems to be based on the 10-second samples that are taken each minute:

AntonioSousa_0-1692818039734.png

Now, even though the two approaches might seem similar, there are cases where it will not happen. Given that we don't have visibility into the 10-second samples (we do have the min/avg/max values), how do we know what is exactly happening with CPU saturation detection?

BTW, remembers me of this Product Idea: https://community.dynatrace.com/t5/Product-ideas/RFE-Increase-resolution-of-data/idi-p/166920

Antonio Sousa
4 REPLIES 4

bradley_danyo
Dynatrace Mentor
Dynatrace Mentor

Hi,

What documentation exactly are you looking at?  The documentation here discusses event thresholds using 10 second intervals.  I believe 10 second intervals are used for infra alerting, and one minute intervals are used for graphing.  If you provide me the documentation where it says that, I can get clarification from product team and get updated appropriately.

Regards,

Bradley

Thanks.  I've reached out to confirm and will let you know once I have more information.

Regards,

Bradley

Hi Antonio,

I've confirmed that the documentation you shared should be changed.  The CPU alerting now uses 10 second intervals.  Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Regards,

Bradley

Featured Posts