cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to count requests to HTTP and HTTPS?

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

When I was asked to give the number of requests in an app pool with requests to port 80 & 443, I thought it would be a breeze...

I haven't managed to find a way how to count this at the service level, not even with Request Attributes? Anyone got an idea?

Antonio Sousa
9 REPLIES 9

alvaro_sanchez
Dynatrace Helper
Dynatrace Helper

Hi Antonio,

That should be feasible with Multidimensional analysis. Go to Diagnostic Tools on the side menu, then Create analysis view, and use "Service:Port" as the dimension to split by, Request count as the metric, and add filters to the request filter field until you see the service that you want. From there, you can create a custom metric if you want to display that on a dashboard, for instance. You can also save that view for future reference or to share it with other people with access to the environment.

Regards,

Álvaro

alvaro_sanchez_0-1627573009399.png

See this image for reference, if something like this is what you're looking for.

@alvaro_sanchez 

Interesting suggestion! But when I went to check it out, it seems that the ports that appear are the ones related to other services that are being invoked, and not the ports that the service is listening on.

Antonio Sousa

Yosi_Neuman
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Hi @AntonioSousa 

May be split MDA by {URL:Host} can help you for this?

Yosi_Neuman_0-1627573050617.png

HTH

Yos 

dynatrace certificated professional - dynatrace master partner - Matrix Soft Ware Division - Israel

@Yosi_Neuman 

Thanks for the suggestion. My problem is that it's an application pool that listens on both 80 & 443, and Dynatrace aggregates them by the typical <serviceName>:80,443, using {URL:Host}  doesn't give me the distribution for the two ports.

Even only by the

Antonio Sousa

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

BTW, the idea behind this question is trying to figure out how many users are still accessing HTTP port 80. Of course there are lots of security concerns using port 80, and I'm trying  to demonstrate that the number of requests should be very low... But I can't get it. I was expecting that something so simple wouldn't require an RFE...

Antonio Sousa

Hi @AntonioSousa any chance there is use of Schema or Accept-Schema http headers in this service that you can set RA on? Anyway for getting the answer to your question IMO you can ask the FW guys to split the requests by protocol and send http requests to url:80 and the https requests to url:433 so you will get 2 separated services in dynatrace.

HTH Yos 

dynatrace certificated professional - dynatrace master partner - Matrix Soft Ware Division - Israel

@Yosi_Neuman 

Thanks for the suggestion. It's a little overkill for what I need, but your sugestion is interesting, because I can ask the question about the distribution directly to them 🙂

In any case, it seems like a case for an RFE...

Antonio Sousa

Featured Posts