cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impact of attr_count_trimmed in Logs Classic?

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

I started ingesting some JSON, not that big, but with a lot of attributes. So, I get a lot of attr_count_trimmed 

I figured out that when this occurs, lots of things start to break, including processing and extraction. Even attributes that I put in are lost...

It seems that all this is due to Dynatrace processing the JSON automatically and creating a lot of attributes, that I really don't need. Looks like a simple solution would be to stop doing this attribute creation...

Any ideas on how to get past this attr_count_trimmed ?

Antonio Sousa
4 REPLIES 4

marcin_okraszew
Dynatrace Helper
Dynatrace Helper

The most desirable solution is to switch to Grail, we can then increase the limit.

If that is not an option, put the JSON in the "content" fields as string. Then, in log processing you can extract only the attributes that are relevant.

danielD
Dynatrace Helper
Dynatrace Helper

Hello,

To add onto how to do parsing in log processing, please look at the documentation found here:
Log processing examples - Dynatrace Docs

It gives many examples on what kinds of information you can extract with parsing rules / how to formulate one. 

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

@marcin_okraszew,

Wasn't yet on Grail in this tenant, one more good reason to migrate :dynaspin:

Still wondering though what logic Dynatrace applies for the 50 limit that exists. I tried to figure it out, but it seems to be random... Besides "content", I have several other attributes, and they appear randomly, which is not good. There should a clear indication of which attributes are disposed of, because that can leave us without data that is really there, but won't make it in the query results...

Antonio Sousa

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

BTW, If anyone want's to see if this is impacting you, check:
https://community.dynatrace.com/t5/Troubleshooting/Why-don-t-ingested-logs-look-as-expected/ta-p/230...

Antonio Sousa

Featured Posts