cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux kernel messages without log ingestion?

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

The other day, I got to see an interesting message from the Linux kernel. Indeed, it's last words:

• Dazed and confused, but trying to continue

In this particular configuration, I can't have Log ingestion, because it's way too much data. Any idea, on alternative ways to get Linux kernel messages, without log ingestion? I'm also thinking of an OneAgent extension, but are there other ways?

Antonio Sousa
5 REPLIES 5

AntonPineiro
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Hi,

Maybe Metric scripting integration but I am not sure if this is best option for your scenario.

Best regards

❤️ Emacs ❤️ Vim ❤️ Bash ❤️ Perl

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

@AntonPineiro, to do that, I would need another program running to detect & ingest. OneAgent extension might be easier to deploy & manage.

Antonio Sousa

Hi,

Yes, no more ideas come to my mind, a script running locally or OneAgent extension.

Best regards

❤️ Emacs ❤️ Vim ❤️ Bash ❤️ Perl

Look Antonio,

probably you are already aware of it but I really like this feature of Oneagent (the scripting integration):

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/shortlink/pipe-metric-ingestion#piping-process-output

you pipe the stuff that you like from unix command line to the dynatrace_ingest tool. It is sent on localhost:14499, catched by Oneagent and sent it back to your cluster.

In theory it will scale your DDU as a custom metric (but I need to better verify that) and if this is the case you could spend less than with log monitoring since some DDU are included when you have already HostUnit bought and Oneagent installed.

Downside is of course that you need to sweat more for a solution and there will be a custom piece of something inside your machine.

Cheers

@y_buccellato,

Thanks for your reply. I could even try to ingest with logs, but the main issue here is it the Kernel... Running another process might not be desirable, might try the OneAgent extension. Thanks!

Antonio Sousa

Featured Posts