Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mainframe Batch Job Monitoring

Babar_Qayyum
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Dear All,

Is it possible to monitor the mainframe batch jobs?

Any reference or assistance will be highly appreciable, thanks.

Regards,

Babar

9 REPLIES 9

D_Miller
Advisor

Hello,

I assume you're referring to long running internally invoked CICS transactions? If you are, then you can monitor these, but.....

As these invariably run a long time Dynatrace will not hold a Pure Path open for that full duration, it will be timed out. Also the number of Nodes created in that Pure Path as in the " PurePath node limit: maximum number of nodes per CICS/IMS program call" will exceed the default value of 500.

Hello @D_Miller 

The 500 value can be reconfigured on demand. Timeout after an hour or 2 hours?

How to configure/monitor the batch job?

Regards,

Babar

Hi,  if you do change that Node value be aware of the extra load it could cause. Not sure where the Pure Path time out is set or if there is one (I might be thinking of AppMon)

As for Batch CICS transactions all you should need to do is add the Transaction name or a naming pattern match to the Transaction Start Sensor setting.

Settings > Mainframe > Transaction start filters 

Transactions that start on the mainframe, on a terminal, or are called by unmonitored services need to be explicitly listed in order to be monitored. This will allow to be picked up.

Hello @D_Miller 

Today I sat with the Mainframe team to discuss this topic once again. They said, first off, these are not the CICS transactions but the batch jobs executed by IWS (IBM Workload Scheduler).

Also, they asked, if we can monitor SDSF Spool where the failed/succeeded batch jobs are stored.

Regards,

Babar

dannemca
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Interested on this matter too...

Site Reliability Engineer @ Kyndryl

mearly
Participant

following this thread too

arvind_r04
Newcomer

following this thread too

jdbostic
Newcomer

Has anyone found a solution for this?  We run about 35K batch jobs and over 1 million job steps per night.  I'm very interested in how others may be using Dynatrace for this.

ronmacdonald
Organizer

Interested also

Featured Posts