Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Looking to upgrade from Dynatrace Managed to SaaS? See how

Managed cluster: OS and disk

DynaQ
Participant

Hi,

We have currently one cluster node that the OS has become unsupported, and the storage locations (i.e. the partitioning) is not as per Dynatrace best practices. We need to fix these points and at the same time fulfill high availability by adding the new cluster nodes (with supported OS and partitions as per best practices) and following the replication method.

My questions are:

1- Is it ok to add cluster nodes with an OS different than the one on the existing/original node?

2- Is it ok to add cluster nodes with disk partitions different than the ones on the existing/original node?

The above scenario (if supported) will be temporary until we finish the upgrade/migration

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

radek_jasinski
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Hi,

It is generally recommended that all nodes of a DT cluster be installed on the same infrastructure (hardware and software). Then you are sure that everything will work properly and in case of problems you have support from support.

Of course, you can add another node on a different OS or running on different hardware. This will probably work, but there may be all sorts of problems with the operation of individual components. Remember, too, that the master is the most important component of the DT cluster.

Radek

Have a nice day!

DynaQ
Participant

Thanks Radek for your input. So I'm wondering what is the supported way by Dynatrace of fixing both cases? the unsupported OS and the storage locations? Do we have an option without risk?

Thanks

The best option is that you create a new target DT server and perform the migration procedure. I think this is a better approach than creating new nodes with different technical specifications now.

Why can't you migrate your current DT to a new server?

Radek

Have a nice day!

Hi Radek,

Sorry I didn't get this migration approach. May you please shed light on some details? Do you mean to do backup and restore on another setup?

Thanks,

Hi,

What I mean is that once a new server is prepared for the master node installation, then the migration procedure can be used to transfer the full configuration to the new components. I have been going through this topic recently at my client.

Radek

Have a nice day!

Featured Posts