cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Looking to upgrade from Dynatrace Managed to SaaS? See how

Migrate cluster with different OS

Hi Team,

i have a question about migrate cluster, my customer want to upgrade os from centOS to oracle linux, it is possible migrate cluster with different OS?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

Mizső
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Hi @sandi_pusghiyan ,

At our customers we always extend the existing cluster with a new leg or legs with the target operating system. 

After the data replication old leg or legs are removed from the cluster.

I hope it helps.

Best regards,

Mizső

Dynatrace Community RockStar 2024, Certified Dynatrace Professional

Radoslaw_Szulgo
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

Yes. Exactly same way as you install any OS patch. https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/managed-cluster/operation/apply-operating-system-patches-to-a...

Senior Product Manager,
Dynatrace Managed expert

islam_zidan
Champion

You can also use backup and restore method if you want to do it quickly, I tried it like 3 times and it worked fine.

Thanks,

Islam

Dynatrace Certified Professional - Dynatrace Partner - Yourcompass.ca

Hi @islam_zidan,

Keep in mind that in case of backup restore you lose the  user session data (maybe it is important for some clients).

Best regards,

Mizső

Dynatrace Community RockStar 2024, Certified Dynatrace Professional

yes i now that problem, we can lose the  user session data and all distributed traces right?

oke, my plan is the same with you, but its first time for me, so im not confidence right now, can you explain in generallly step by step with backup and restore method?

Hi @sandi_pusghiyan 

To configure automatic backup for a Dynatrace Managed cluster

1. In the Dynatrace menu, go to Settings > Backup.

2. Enable cluster backup and choose the scope:

• User sessions may contain sensitive information.
      Exclude user sessions from the backup to remain compliant with GDPR.

• Exclude timeseries metric data from the backup if your historical data isn't relevant and you only want to retain configuration data.

• Include backup of Log Monitoring events.

3. (Optional) Select data center. This step is required only if you have multiple data center deployment (Premium High Availability deployment). For more information on Premium High Availability deployments, see High availability for multi-data centers and Disaster recovery from backup

4. Provide a full path to the mounted network file storage where backup archives are stored.

5. Configure start time.

For cluster restore, please follow the below document and put into consideration 

• To restore a cluster on the same host as the source cluster, make sure to uninstall it first.
  • Machines have a similar hardware and disk layout as the original cluster and sufficient capacity to handle the load after the restore.
  • Make sure the existing cluster is stopped to prevent two clusters with the same ID connecting to Dynatrace Mission Control. See Start/stop/restart a cluster.
  • Make sure that system users created for Dynatrace Managed have the same UID:GID identifiers on all nodes.
  • On each target node, mount the backup storage to, for example, /mnt/backup. This path is referred to as <path-to-backup> in the steps below.
  • Ensure the installer has read permissions to the NFS. For example: sudo adduser dynatrace && sudo chown -R dynatrace:dynatrace <path-to-backup>
  • Create your cluster inventory. You'll need this information during the restore.
    • IDs of nodes in the cluster. The backup of each node is stored in a dedicated directory whose name is based on the node identifier, in the format node_<node_id> (for example, node_1, node_5, etc).
    • IPv4 addresses of the new machines.
    • The IP address of the target machine for each node.
    • The node ID of the node that will become the seed node in the cluster.

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/shortlink/managed-cluster-restore#restore-from-backup

For further details, please check the main document for cluster backup and restore.

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/shortlink/managed-cluster-restore

Thanks,

Islam

Dynatrace Certified Professional - Dynatrace Partner - Yourcompass.ca

Featured Posts