cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Mainframe settings/menu

D_Miller
Advisor

Hello,

I previously raised an RFE regarding the difficulty in having to create rules that allowed monitoring of transactions that started on the mainframe and those invoked through web requests. The Dynatrace UI didn't allow the flexibility required

Remove massive Admin overhead to enable stitching of CICS Transactions purepaths - Dynatrace Communi...

So I was pleased to see the new Mainframe settings available in version 1.228.103.20211019-165601 with 'Monitoring All Incoming Web Requests' now available.

But I'm confused over the text which states the following 

"Dynatrace automatically traces incoming web requests when they are called by already-monitored services. Enable this setting to monitor all incoming web requests. We recommend enabling it only over a short period of time"

Does this mean I'm still stuck with not be able to configure Dynatrace correctly to monitor the critical calls to the mainframe?

Also now configuration is completely impossible as the Transaction Start Filters are no longer listed in Alphabetical order. I'm now no longer able to create additional rules as I'm unable to maintain or validate the existing rules.

What was the purpose of the change as it's provided no benefit and has actually made things worse? Also who tested and approved this? Is anyone else affected by this?

I've created a support ticket as this needs to be rolled back and fixed.

6 REPLIES 6

ChadTurner
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

@D_Miller please share with us what Support provides you with for a Justification and/or work around. 

-Chad

dannemca
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

I am also not happy with the new way to handle with Transactions filters, since "no filter" capability and they are not even sorted...

Site Reliability Engineer @ Kyndryl

Yosi_Neuman
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Hi @D_Miller ,

Did you got any response on this one? customer also ask if there is a way to monitor transaction on specific host and wonder if you have any information on this question.

Thanks in advance

Yos 

dynatrace certificated professional - dynatrace master partner - Matrix Soft Ware Division - Israel

D_Miller
Advisor

Hello,

Unfortunately, Dynatrace has not provided any solution.  The Start Sensors are still listed in a random order making it impossible to administer. I've also had to raise another Support Ticket and RFE as I've now got a situation where the same CICS Transaction is invoked both externally via SOAP and internally and the current settings don't allow both to be fully monitored.

Ability to monitor both External/Internal CICS transactions and keep stitching from external call - ...

@Yosi_Neuman Do please explain your use case more.

Hi @D_Miller

Customer is checking zOS capabilities and mainframe guy asked us if it possible to monitor transaction XXX in LPAR A and not in LPAR B. 

The setting is per dynatrace environment and in case both LPARs are connected to the same dynatrace environment is it possible to set monitoring on transaction XXX only in LPAR A? 

Thanks in advance 

Yos 

dynatrace certificated professional - dynatrace master partner - Matrix Soft Ware Division - Israel

Hi,

That looks like a use case that is no longer able to be fulfilled when Dynatrace decided to remove the Process Group override for Transaction Start Sensors.  Though, I am assuming that the Regions running that Transaction will have a slightly different name in each of the 2 LPARs.

With the old settings you could have made a Start Sensor for the Transaction in the Regions for LPAR1 but none for LPAR2.  A real mare to administer but at least possible.  It doesn't look like it is now possible as the Start Sensors are fixed as Global.

Featured Posts