cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vanity URL for an Environment

echwallah
Advisor

There is an option in Account Settings to change environment details including Time Zone and Friendly name and Vanity URL.

We have a couple of customers who wish to change the unintelligible prefix on their environment URL to reflect their corporate name say for example myCompany.live.dynatrace .com.

I thought the Vanity URL was to achieve this but on save I get an error "Unable to Save Changes"

Is this achievable in Dynatrace because it seems like a simple thing to offer to customers for their branding purposes rather than a sequence of alphanumeric characters?

Dynatrace Certified Associate
11 REPLIES 11

fstekelenburg
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

I was looking for the same information.  I believe it supposed to enable entering a 'friendly name', so that next to going to the url https://<tenant-ID>.live.dynatrace.com/  you could use https://friendlyname.live.dynatrace.com/.
I can not find anything on 'Vanity URL' in the documentation. So, if someone of Dynatrace can shed some light on this, that would be great.

Kind regards, Frans Stekelenburg                 Certified Dynatrace Associate | measure.works, Dynatrace Partner

Hi @fstekelenburg have you tested with the friendly name and it works?

What is the difference between a friendly name and Vanity URL because friendly name accepts spaces and I do not believe the environment url will work with spaces

Can Anyone from Dynatrace provide information on this?

No, unfortunately like you I get the error "Unable to Save Changes". Sorry I forgot to mention that.
I think maybe the function is not yet available, or you need support from Dynatrace ONE team to set/enable it. I reckon you can open a chat to ask.

Kind regards, Frans Stekelenburg                 Certified Dynatrace Associate | measure.works, Dynatrace Partner

andre_vdveen
DynaMight Champion
DynaMight Champion

Hi @echwallah, based on my own experience, you are correct in terms of what the vanity URL is used for - you can set the vanity URL if you have the necessary privileges on the tenant via the Account Management portal, I've done this successfully before.
The vanity URL does not change the tenant ID, so nothing is affected if the vanity URL is set - it is merely used for a friendlier URL, something that is easier to remember for the end users e.g., like you mentioned clientname.live.dynatrace.com is easier to remember than abc12345.live.dynatrace.com 🙂

However, you cannot have spaces in the vanity URL name; you can use a dash (-) and I assume an underscore would also work, but I have not tested it.

Note: be VERY careful when setting it, because once set, you cannot change it again! So, please make sure the client understands this prior to setting it and that they approve the name that is to be used.

The friendly name is used in the environments drop-down (dude icon, top right when logged into Dynatrace) and is just a display name that would be helpful if you have access to multiple tenants, like in your case where you support many clients. Friendly names can have spaces.

UPDATE: from personal experience, it seems that term license tenants' vanity URL can be set via the AM portal, but trial/POC licenses not.

Thanks @andre_vdveen for this clarity.

However through the AM Portal changing the url displays an error that "..Cannot Save changes"

Also, Special characters are not allowed.

After having a conversation with in-product chat they mentioned that this has to be requested and applied internally hence am also wondering how yours worked.

I believe we might need DT to clarify generally how this works

fstekelenburg
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

Vanity URL seems to have been removed from the environment settings.
Wondering if that still can be set, but now requires Support?

Hey @fstekelenburg, I noticed that too...I wonder why? Did you ask support about this?

Update on the Vanity URL, after contacting Support:

• Vanity URL can be set by Support, and by opening a Support Request
  • For now it can no longer be set through the UI (Settings) 
  • There was a change of design regarding the vanity URL settings, and the development team decided to do it per request, also to ensure security.

@fstekelenburg : Thanks for this information. Can we change vanity URL several times ? What is the impact of this change ?

Observability Engineer at Phenisys - Dynatrace Professional

Previously it was, once set, it could not be changed anymore. But according to Support they can change it again and again, without restriction.

Impact is that instead of using a url like xys012345.live.dynatrace .com you can use an url like
myCompany.live.dynatrace .com

@fstekelenburg Thanks a lot for this information. I am with multiple clients where facing issued for changing the URL as per their own business name. However, i got the path now. 

Thanks,

Tijust

Dynatrace Professional Certified

Featured Posts