cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the most valuable / interesting metrics you are using?

Hello community,

Wanted to raise this topic to improve my monitoring on our env, 

What are the metrics you are using the most / the most interesting / valuable for your environment?

I'm using (in a dashboard) the disk usage metric, CPU, and I'm trying to see if looking on disk usage delta over time will give value to my monitoring.

Waiting to hear your answers!

3 REPLIES 3

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

@YuvalKonstanti,

From my side, besides infra / service metrics, I tend to favor RUM & KPI metrics. As you seem more oriented to infra metrics, I would check out generic process resource consumption, disk latency and virtual memory usage. In a lot of aspects, monitoring virtualization metrics is also interesting.

But, it really depends on the team. An important aspect of the Dynatrace platform is that you can get all sorts of metrics to different teams! So, you can get specific value for teams in other areas, including Business.

Antonio Sousa

Yosi_Neuman
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Hi @YuvalKonstanti 

From my perspective the main goal of monitoring is to understand if my system is working OK. 

@AntonioSousa mentioned KPI's and IMO KPI's (business and infrastructure) are what you need to add to you monitoring with Service-level objectives (AKA SLO's).

Check How to start with SLOs to align Business, DevOps, and SREs and 7 steps to identify and implement effective Service Level Objectives (SLOs) blogs for more insight on SLO's

HTH

Yos 

dynatrace certificated professional - dynatrace master partner - Matrix Soft Ware Division - Israel

Mohamed_Hamdy
DynaMight Champion
DynaMight Champion

Hi @YuvalKonstanti,

adding to the above metrics, you can add Synthetic if you are using it, and response time for the running DB queries. you can mark some important queries as key requests or create calculated service metrics for some critical applications to get the response time of all running queries, and then add it to the dashboard, for example, I'm using it to get DB queries response time with custom time frame last 10 minutes.

Noting that the calculated service metrics will consume DDUs.

Certified Dynatrace Professional | Certified Dynatrace Services Delivery - Observability & CloudOps | Dynatrace Partner - yourcompass.ca

Featured Posts