cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows System consuming 80% + of CPU Resource, how to further troubleshoot in Dynatrace?

waikeat_chan
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

Windows System consuming 80% + of CPU Resource, how to further troubleshoot in Dynatrace?

(other than asked customer to open task manager to have a look)

Best,

Wai Keat

8 REPLIES 8

ChadTurner
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

That's a good question. I don't think you can break 'Windows System' out further in Dynatrace. 

-Chad

Yep, which makes alerting about it a bit problematic. We also often see "Packet retransmission rate for process Windows System on host asdf has increased to 10 %". Seems like the best option is to just suppress these alerts, because there's nothing you can do with that information. ...Or if someone has ideas, do let me know 🙂

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

One idea might be to look at the Windows logs at the host level in Dynatrace. Might find an indication of something that might be going on. Also, take a look at the number of DNS queries, as it has surprised me in some occasions.

Antonio Sousa

Yosi_Neuman
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Hi @waikeat_chan 

There is a way to figure out which processes are include under windows system from SA.

Go to diagnostic files --> Agent --> logs --> os and open processesSnapshot.log 

In this file look for Group name: Windows System, under it you will find all the windows processes that OA collect together.

You will see for each process last CPU val and Virtual memory peak size and can get a clue on which process is consuming more CPU and Memory than others. 

HTH

Yos 

dynatrace certificated professional - dynatrace master partner - Matrix Soft Ware Division - Israel

lawrence_cuneaz
Dynatrace Advisor
Dynatrace Advisor

To get a process snapshot you can enable automatic process snapshots that run based on any of these triggering events or you can run a snapshot manually by selecting ... in the Process Snapshots section on a specific host page.

• High host CPU usage
  • High host memory usage
  • High packet drop rates
  • High NIC utilization rates
  • High number of NIC errors
  • Process availability events

process-instance-snapshot-1404-c1bcee55de.png

lawrence_cuneaz_1-1677797197438.png

Maximus
Frequent Guest
Hello
I'm looking to make a Manuel Process instance snapshots, but it doesn't work.
 Any ideas?
0fd2f4c6-9219-4461-b997-d0edfb9c143d.png

ef727ee8-e28b-4c8d-a1c8-c07a4fd8b5f8.png

f8cf8ed2-851e-43a6-8ef5-a86077eefbe0.png

93918704-cf6b-43d8-8309-5b8701a980d4.png

652afd86-aa15-4895-964d-37bd38ec581f.png

 Thanks.

Hi Maximus,

Please confirm that the OneAgent is on the supported version of 1.237 or higher. 
https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/shortlink/host-monitoring-new#snapshots 

Otherwise, if you reloaded the page and the snapshot was not there, please open a DynatraceOne Chat or Support Ticket for further assistance.
https://support.dynatrace.com/  

Maximus
Frequent Guest

Hello,
The agent version is 1.239.
I have contacted support and this is their answer:
"Could you please update the OneAgent running on the host to at least version 1.251? The version of OneAgent currently running on the host is not supported.
With the release of OneAgent version 1.275, our oldest supported version is 1.251: https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/shortlink/release-notes-oneagent-sprint-275
The version number next to the process instance snapshot function corresponds to the date on which the function was introduced".
That doesn't help me 🙂

Regards

Featured Posts