cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dtuser purpose and password update

gopikrishnanr
Organizer

Hi All,

I have seen that while oneagent installation "dtuser" is being created and as per the documentation its written for security purposes, this user is utilized by services that don’t require root privileges.

So is it possible to set a password for this user since I don't know whether this user uses a password? and what will be the impact of doing so? Please help

Regards,

Gopikrishnan

10 REPLIES 10

Robert_River
Dynatrace Enthusiast
Dynatrace Enthusiast

If it's Linux, then dtuser doesn't have password. And also OneAgent can use existing user or create user with different name, if USER parameter is provided to Installer - see

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/installatio...

On Windows dtuser has password, but changing it is not supported. If dtuser's password was changed, then Plugin Manager would not work.
Why do you need to change dtuser's password?

gopikrishnanr
Organizer

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the info.

What will be the password for this user in Windows and can we change this user after installation is done. And if we change the password in Windows or assign password in Linux then what will be the impact.

Actually the security team is concerned in one of our client side since all the accounts has to be managed by them and they need info on this user.

Regards,

Gopikrishnan

Robert_River
Dynatrace Enthusiast
Dynatrace Enthusiast

Hi Gopikrishnan

Regarding Windows: If the password is changed, then Plugin Manager would not work. The same impact will be, if you change this user. These changes are not supported.
Please consider creating product idea (https://community.dynatrace.com/articles/179821/posting-product-ideas.html) to meet your requirements.

On Linux, the dtuser is created as a nologin user, hence it does not have a password.

imoskovko1
Inactive

Hello. I also received question from customer security dept about Windows dtuser password.

Is it randomly generated or what?

I need to answer... where to find info?

Regards, Igor

bartosz_pollok
Dynatrace Enthusiast
Dynatrace Enthusiast

Hello Igor,

The dtuser's password is generated as a random
32-character long string, composed of alphanumeric and special character
set during installation on Windows.

For security related questions you should submit a RFI.
Such questions may also be asked using an in-product chat functionality.

Regards,

Bartosz

Thank you Bartosz! So far it answer cust question.

Btw, how to submit RFI?

Hi Igor,

The best way to submit a RFI is to contact your sales representative - that person will guide you through the process.

Regards,

Bartosz

Got it. Sales rep. Thank you!

tarjei_utnes
Organizer

Hi, any possibility that this user could be a serviceaccount in a domain?

Hi Tarjei,

There is a product idea for this https://community.dynatrace.com/idea/198583/dtuser-domain-controller-support-ad-current-only-l.html

Feel free to share your feedback there.

Featured Posts