Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Looking to upgrade from Dynatrace Managed to SaaS? See how

"Cluster Node Elasticsearch storage service is malfunctioning" error

akerimd
Frequent Guest

Hi,

We had a one-node Dynatrace cluster and last week we added a node to our Dynatrace managed cluster so we had a cluster with two nodes. After three days we close the old node, and after 15 min. we saw this error: " Elasticsearch storage service is malfunctioning" in the deployment status screen. When I look at the detail on the node configuration the error looks like this: "Could not establish communication with Elasticsearch server on SERVER at location .....node ip ....  ". At the same time, the cluster is working only on a new node and does not produce any problem when I open the old node. Please help me.

Thank you

7 REPLIES 7

Julius_Loman
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

Check the log files for Elastic on the nodes. A common scenario is that someone reloaded default firewall rules on the system level and blocked the communication between elastic nodes. Dynatrace has its own service for setting up iptables rules, it's not adding it to the default firewall service such as firewalld.

Try running 

launcher/firewall.sh restart

on the node or reload the Dynatrace firewall rules using systemd:

systemctl restart dynatrace-firewall

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

Hi @Julius_Loman  when I check the elastic log file, I saw WARN like below ;

[2023-03-17T06:59:17,613 UTC][WARN ][o.e.c.c.ClusterFormationFailureHelper] [New_Node_IP_Adress] master not discovered or elected yet, an election requires a node with id [f9NXLfKiT3i2YTqpkr7UCA], have discovered [{New_Node_IP_Adress}{DWdyHwDUTyCySI2gKjASPQ}{9FcfKoqeRnOzax15qi3-Mw}{New_Node_IP_Adress}{New_Node_IP_Adress:9300}{dimr}, {OLD_Node_IP_Adress}{f9NXLfKiT3i2YTqpkr7UCA}{TmlH3Ea1RK2fCKMkKa3zyA}{OLD_Node_IP_Adress}{OLD_Node_IP_Adress:9300}{dimr}] which is a quorum; discovery will continue using [OLD_Node_IP_Adress:9300] from hosts providers and [{New_Node_IP_Adress}{DWdyHwDUTyCySI2gKjASPQ}{9FcfKoqeRnOzax15qi3-Mw}{New_Node_IP_Adress}{New_Node_IP_Adress:9300}{dimr}, {OLD_Node_IP_Adress}{f9NXLfKiT3i2YTqpkr7UCA}{TmlH3Ea1RK2fCKMkKa3zyA}{OLD_Node_IP_Adress}{OLD_Node_IP_Adress:9300}{dimr}] from last-known cluster state; node term 22, last-accepted version 1

Romanenkov_Al3x
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

For our Dynatrace Managed Clusters - Cluster with two nodes is only transition from one to three. If you check documentation - you need at least 3 nodes . 

We recommend multi-node setups for failover and data redundancy. A sufficiently sized 3-node cluster is the recommended setup

You can avoid many problems if you will expand your cluster to 3 nodes.

Regards,

Romanenkov Alex

DT_NGINX_FORCE_UNKNOWN_VERSION_INSTRUMENTATION=1

Mizső
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

I think in this case @akerimd would like to migrate from one node to another node that is why they switched off the original node 3 days later. As far as I understand the new node still would like to connect to the original switched off node Elastic. @akerimd Am I correct?

Best regards,

Mizső

Certified Dynatrace Professional

Yes @Mizső  you correct ,

Since we had to change the ip address of the old node, we wanted to add a second node and then close the old node, but after closing it we encountered these problems. For this reason I am not closing old node 😞

fstekelenburg
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

Firt of all, I would open a Support case for this.

Since you added a second node. it started to sync with the other one, being a cluster does that.
Apparently you did this to move to another node. ( I do not think for an IP change you would need this procedure btw)

I wonder how you "close the old node". You can't just "shutdown". 
Since it's operating in cluster and syncing you need a more careful approach. You first need to disable it, and make sure it's no longer syncing with the cluster. It's described here: Remove a cluster node | Dynatrace Docs
Especially note the text:

Remove a disabled cluster node
Before proceeding with node removal, it's recommended that you wait for at least the duration of the transaction storage data retention period (up to 35 days). This is because while all metrics are replicated in the cluster, the raw transaction data isn't stored redundantly. Removing a node before its transaction storage data retention period expires may impact code-level and user-session data analysis.

Remove no more than one node at a time. To avoid data loss, allow 24 hours before removing any subsequent nodes. This is because it takes up to 24 hours for the long-term metrics replicas to be automatically redistributed on the remaining nodes.

And lastly, as already remarked here before, you run either 1 or 3 nodes cluster, where of course 3 is the most ideal 🙂
But that of course depends on the size of the environment and what you are using it for.

Kind regards, Frans Stekelenburg                 Certified Dynatrace Associate | measure.works, Dynatrace Partner

akerimd
Frequent Guest

The problem I'm having still continues, when I close the old node, I get an error on the 2nd node with the (dynatrace.sh stop) method as follows, please help.

dyna_er.png

Featured Posts