cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AgataWlodarczyk
Community Team
Community Team

EMOM_April2023_banner.png

The more consistently you do something, the easier it becomes. And the easier it becomes, the more momentum you build up along the way. Some things that once were a struggle become easy or even a habit, and, as we know, habits are hard to break.

Consistency is important in every area of life, and it is the key to making improvements or lasting change. Consistency is also key in… climbing. We all climb in some way in our lives, for example, at work where we often have to overcome our own limitations and obstacles.

Why is it worth climbing? Both in life and climbing rocks like our April’s Employee Member of the month? First, it helps to gain humility, but also an understanding that what cannot be done today, will be possible in a week, month, or year. It is enough that we try regularly, and progress will follow.

Not to mention other advantages, ranging from opposing our fear of falling and failing, fighting the influence of negative thoughts and doubts. And as in life, the more we dare, the more we will achieve - it’s good to keep coming to the ‘wall’ over and over again.

A person who climbs well in many areas, including our Community, is Penny Scully (@PennyScully), and we are happy to introduce her to all of you. 😊
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Can you share some details about your past? What is your story, how it happened that you decided to work in the IT / APM area, and how you became a Dynatracer?

As a kid, there was no clear career path for me, I enjoyed too many things, from sports to art. It wasn’t until I went to university and by luck, I found something I could really connect with, I studied Industrial Design. I remember the long nights at university very fondly, plugging away at computer-aided design programs such as SolidWorks and 3DS Max.

I proudly left university with a 1st class degree and a designer of the year award and exhibited my work at the London design fair. But at the time of my leaving university, the job market was not favorable for young budding designers.

At the time, I had been working in a restaurant to pay rent, and I came across a customer working for a robotics company. It wasn’t long before he became my boss, and I started working for Shadow Robotics Company. It was there I first came into touch with programming, although doing only limited amounts myself, I was working with developers and gaining knowledge about how they work and how to communicate with them.

Since then, I have been working closely with all types of developers, from robotics to the web. Now I have even started learning to program myself, as it gives me the same thrill I felt back at university. I have been with Dynatrace for a little over a year, working for the Platform Enablement Team.

EMOM - Penny 1.jpg

Can you tell us a little bit about your job? What interesting things you’re working on?

My role at Dynatrace is as a Platform Developer Advocate, within the Platform Enablement team here at Dynatrace. With the new platform rollout, developers will be able to create their very own apps on the Dynatrace platform. As a Platform Developer Advocate, my role is to ensure that developers understand how to build Dynatrace Apps and get all information needed to be successful. The Community is one of the key elements. Personally, I would consider myself more of a content creator and communicator, and this is what I love to do, from writing newsletters to making tutorial videos for developers.

What makes you excited about being a part of the Dynatrace? 

It excites me to work for Dynatrace because it’s like being back at university, there’s always something new to learn. Plus, Dynatrace offers a great work-life balance that is so important for me to keep motivated, you’ll find out why if you keep reading.

PET (Platform Enablement) and Community teams at a workshop event in the Dynatrace Vienna office.PET (Platform Enablement) and Community teams at a workshop event in the Dynatrace Vienna office.

How is the Community helping you in your job? Why do you think it’s worth being a part of the Dynatrace Community? What best advice can you give someone who just started using Community?

I might be a little biased here because the Community not only helps my job but is a part of my job. Soon there will be a new space created in the Community, the developers' forum yet. This will be a place where you can ask any questions related to developing apps on Dynatrace. So, yes, the Community is a huge part of my role, and it’s amazing to watch it thrive. As one of the moderators of the forum, I am so happy to see your incoming questions and see them answered by other members of the Community before my team even gets a chance to reply.

I believe it's worth being a part of the Community as it's a great place for anyone using the Dynatrace product and especially if you want to expand your knowledge.

EMOM_April2023_quote-B.png
Plus, the best way to learn something new is to teach it to someone else. And the Community provides us with this.

And some advice for a newbie in the Community: Don’t be shy, there is no stupid question, just get involved. And don’t be shy to offer your advice or solution either, even if you're not 100% sure, it might help someone, and it helps encourage others to post too.

Tell us something about you that most people don’t know. What is your biggest joy or passion in life?
When I am not at work, I can be found dangling off a cliff somewhere on the other end of a rope. Climbing is more than just a hobby for me, it’s a lifestyle, I moved to Spain to pursue this lifestyle of being able to work and yet climb as much as possible. I live in a small town, where I can climb on rocks straight after work. Not only this, but I try to capture my adventures with my camera, and I take part in a lot of climbing video content for outdoor brands. And this year I will be starting my own video blog series of how it is to be an excessive climber trying to push the personal climbing limit and holding down a 5-day job. If you want to see more of this, stay up to date by checking my Instagram feed, all the information is there: @climb4pennys.

LEFT: Penny being lowered off a victorious climb in Siruana, Spain. RIGHT: Penny battling on the rocks near Cadiz, Spain.LEFT: Penny being lowered off a victorious climb in Siruana, Spain. RIGHT: Penny battling on the rocks near Cadiz, Spain.
What’s one thing on your bucket list? Your dream? 
Become the best female climber? No, that’s a very unrealistic dream! But I do dream to become a good role model for women to show them that we can be strong and yet smart, and to be proud of it. And to show them that they should take risks and pursue their passions, whether that be professional or not. 
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Penny, we’re very happy that you’re a part of Dynatrace and the Community. We admire your commitment and appreciate your contribution. I don't think we can say anything other than to wish you reach more peaks! 😊

10 Comments