Showing results forΒ 
ShowΒ Β onlyΒ  | Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Take the Bookworm Challenge! πŸ“–β€Œ

Michal_Gebacki
Community Team
Community Team
Welcome back, Dynatrace Community!
Summertime is perfect for bookworms. So much opportunities to catch up with! That's why we're asking you to take the Bookworm Challenge and share your favorite books, either all-time classics or your recent discoveries.

As always, don't worry about any specitic type of your favorite books - it can by any! Fiction or non-fiction, worldwide hit or locally-oriented, sky is the limit. And now, let's build Community Bookshelf with the best titles!
Benefits of taking Community Challenges!
πŸ‘‰ Every participant receives a unique "Bookworm Badge"
πŸ‘‰ You will also get +100 bonus points for extra activity
πŸ‘‰ Engage with others and have fun!
34_bookworm_badge 3.png
32 REPLIES 32

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

So many come to  mind! I'll have to say that in the past I was reading real books, but since I'm on the Internet since 1992, have shifted to online reading decades ago πŸ™‚
Anyway, a great list comes to mind:

• More from less
    https://www.andrewmcafee.org/books/more-from-less
    Read this some years ago, in the days before my first Perform in Vegas. Was in transit from another conference, where this book was offered to me. Couldn't believe how it related to me so much, both personally & professionally. Nothing to do with Observability, but for a person like me that values Sustainability (I have a blog about it too), it was a much interesting read. Highly recommend it for all Community members!
  • All books from Dan Brown
    I especially remember the first one I read, Angels & Demons: I started reading it one afternoon, and couldn't stop until I had read it all. My favorite author!
  • The Guinness Book of World Records
    https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/
    I cannot get enough from it! Completely fascinated by the incredible achievements that we are capable of!
  • Why Nations Fail
    https://www.amazon.com/Why-Nations-Fail-Origins-Prosperity/dp/0307719227
    I love History, and this book is a compelling exploration of the fundamental reasons that explain the prosperity or poverty of nations. It reasoned particularly to me, for a country like Portugal that was great some hundreds of years ago, but then evolved exactly like the book predicts any Country will evolve given for instance the existing institutional structures...
  • Java enterprise performance
    https://www.dynatrace.com/resources/ebooks/javabook/
    Had to have an ebook here, and this is one is a heck of an eBook from Dynatrace, that is not that well known. Learned so many things from it some time ago. If you haven't read it, don't miss it!

Antonio Sousa

Josh_P
Observer

How to Be Perfect: The Correct Answer to Every Moral Question - Michael Schur

From the EP/writer of "The Good Place" (also the Office, Parks and Recreation) , a humorous take on moral philosophy and how his journey shaped his outlook on life. Not a text book or in-depth view, but it sparked a desire for me to dig deeper into learning about what we owe each other as human beings. 

The Iliad / Odyssey - Homer

Who doesn't love epics from times forgotten? I revisit these every few years, though I want someday to read them in the original Greek, they inspire me to remember what is important in life, reject vanity and always sacrifice a goat before I embark on an epic journey πŸ™‚  Those looking for lighter reads but still ancient Greek mythology related, I also enjoyed "Mythos", "Troy" and "Heroes" by Stephen Fry... yes, that Stephen Fry. All entertaining overviews of Greek mythology but by no means a comprehensive, study-level dive. 

The Stand - Stephen King

This book freaked me out as a teenager and I still love it to this day. Post pandemic this story hits different though and might be a bit too real for those looking for a light read. About a biological weapons lab leak that turns into the immune's battle over Good and Evil.

Ready Player One - Ernest Cline

Spielberg made this into a film in 2018 but in my opinion, the book was better. If you like 80's pop culture references, this book is for you. I loved geeking out on some of the deep video game references and the overall story of friendship through adversity. Even got my kid to be my player 2 on the Atari after she finished it. Highly recommended. 

"Be excellent to each other" - Abraham Lincoln, San Dimas High School, c.1988

kuncarlos
Dynatrace Helper
Dynatrace Helper

I read the Stand, during the pandemic back in 2020. Loved it.

WHomES

gbaudart
DynaMight Champion
DynaMight Champion

I read books in the Heroic Fantasy/SF category.
And my favourites are probably the following:
- The Lord of the Rings
- Royal Assassin saga by Robin Hobb
- Books by David Gemmell
- The Wheel of Time
And many more ^^

Observability Consultant - Dynatrace Associate Certified

MaximilianoML
Participant

Um, I'm not much of a reader because I'm boring when it comes to the topics I like. But I have a top 3 of the best I've ever read, here they are:
1st Chernobyl 01:23:40 (PT-BR)
As the Title says, it's about the story of the disaster but told from the point of view of a visitor returning to the day of the disaster, it takes your breath away.
2nd The Power of Habit (Charles Duhigg (Author))
This book literally changed my habits, with ADHD, I say habits make the difference.
3rd Journey to the Center of the Earth (Jules Verne (Author))
My favorite, even if I don't believe in a hollow earth, because this specimen developed ingenuity from the past.

I even have other books that I liked about history, most of them are about historical moments, but that's a conversation for another day.

Magda_Zarek
Dynatrace Organizer
Dynatrace Organizer

I love the Bridget Jones series.

One book that really moved me was a book I read in primary school called "The Paul Street Boys".

Another book that I love is "That near Death Thing" which is about my favorite road race - The Isle of Man TT. 

Nataliya_S
Dynatrace Promoter
Dynatrace Promoter

I love all manners of books and genres. If I had to list my top-5, though:

Fiction:

1. Arthur Conan Doyle, "Sherlock Holmes" (the entire collection).

2. Philip Pullman, "His Dark Materials".

3. Lewis Carroll, "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland".

4. Louisa May Alcott, "Little Women".

5. Ray Bradbury, "A Medicine for Melancholy".

Non-fiction:

1. Kakuzo Okakura, "The Book of Tea".

2. Sun Tzu, "The Art of War".

3. Takuya Soma, "Human and Raptor Interactions in the Context of a Nomadic Society".

4. Anna Lubecka, "Bergitka Roma".

5. Stephen King, "On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft".

PedroDeodato
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

I always liked reading a lot, specially when I was younger!

Right know, I'm particularly more interested in non-fiction and educational books: in the recent past, mainly financial literacy πŸ’°

However, back in the day, I've always liked novels:

But I am also a short-story fan!
My favorite one is:

Finally, couldn't finish this post without the book that lead me here:

Best regards, Pedro Deodato

I loved capitaes da Areia, it is a classic! Thanks for sharing The Last Question!!

WHomES

Malaik
DynaMight Champion
DynaMight Champion

Hi,

This put me far away in the past πŸ˜‚.

I was reading police and suspicion books.
- Marie Hiddings Clark (in French).

- Albert Camus

Sharing Knowledge

Mike_L
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

I’ll go with a classic, the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Mike

AntonPineiro
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Hi,

Those are technology oriented:

• Michey Petersen - Mastering Emacs [2015].
  • Packt - Nagios Core Administration Cookbook (2nd Edition) [2016].
  • O'Reilly - Bash Cookbook (2nd Edition) [2017].
  • Rainer KΓΆnig - Getting yourself organized with Org-mode [2020].
  • Apress - Pro Git (2nd Edition) [2021].
  • O'Reilly - Learning Perl (8th Edition) [2021].
  • O'Reilly - Learning the vi and Vim Editors (8th Edition) [2021].
  • Packt - Zabbix 6 IT Infrastructure Monitoring Cookbook (2nd Edition) [2022].
  • O'Reilly - Python in a Nutshell (4th Edition) [2023].

Best regards

❀️ Emacs ❀️ Vim ❀️ Bash ❀️ Perl

DanielS
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Great Topic!!!

I share the most recent discoveries:

- Why we sleep. Great Information about an activity we do at least 8 hours a day!!!

- A column of fire and I, Cesar under Historical Fiction Ken Follet and Santiago Posteguillo are great narrators. If your love this genre, they are a must.

- The Tiger, a short story by Joel Dicker, takes place in a cold Tsarist Russia, with a tiger threatening people and a ransom to catch him. I'll say no more.

- Also I recommend Samanta Schweblin short stories under fiction and the master Carlos Ruiz Zafon in the Shadow of the Wind.

- and to close Atomic Habits was a great surprise of how to modify small habits to improve in general. Recommended

DanielS_3-1721253853889.png

The true delight is in the finding out rather than in the knowing.

kuncarlos
Dynatrace Helper
Dynatrace Helper

My Favorite Books

Sci-fi is my favorite genre. There’s something about exploring the unknown, imagining future possibilities, and diving into complex worlds that captivates me. Here are my top picks in the genre:

1. The Three-Body Problem Trilogy by Cixin Liu

• This series tops my list. It combines hard science fiction with rich, imaginative storytelling. The way Liu blends astrophysics, history, and philosophy into an epic narrative is truly remarkable.
  2. The Murderbot Diaries by Martha Wells

• The Murderbot series is a unique take on AI and humanity. The protagonist, a security robot with a penchant for watching TV dramas, is both relatable and intriguing. Wells' humor and insight make this series a must-read.
  3. The Broken Earth Trilogy by N.K. Jemisin

• Jemisin’s trilogy is a masterclass in world-building and social commentary. The way she weaves together themes of oppression, resilience, and environmental catastrophe is both powerful and thought-provoking.

Non-Fiction Favorites

When it comes to non-fiction, these books have made a significant impact on me:

1. The Qualified Sales Leader by John McMahon

• This book offers invaluable insights into the world of sales leadership. McMahon’s experience and practical advice are beneficial for anyone looking to excel in sales.
  2. The Art of Happiness by Dalai Lama

• This book provides profound wisdom on achieving happiness and maintaining inner peace. The Dalai Lama’s teachings are both comforting and enlightening.
  3. Influence by Robert Cialdini

• Cialdini’s exploration of the psychology of persuasion is a fascinating read. Understanding the principles of influence is useful not only in business but in everyday interactions as well.

Writers from the Arab World

The rich literary traditions of the Arab world have produced some of my favorite writers:

• Amin Maalouf
    • Known for his profound narratives that explore themes of identity and cultural coexistence, Maalouf’s work is always thought-provoking.
  • Tahar Ben Jelloun
    • His writing, often addressing issues of immigration and social justice, is both powerful and lyrical.
  • Mohammed Choukri
    • Choukri’s raw and honest portrayal of life in Morocco offers a compelling look at poverty and resilience.

Top 3 All-Time Classics

Finally, here are my top three all-time classics:

1. The Prophet by Khalil Gibran

• This timeless piece of literature offers poetic wisdom on various aspects of life. Gibran’s lyrical prose and philosophical insights are deeply moving.
  2. Dom Casmurro by Machado de Assis

• A masterpiece of Brazilian literature, this novel explores themes of jealousy, love, and betrayal with remarkable psychological depth.
  3. The Trial by Franz Kafka

• Kafka’s exploration of existential dread and the absurdity of bureaucratic systems remains as relevant today as ever. This novel is both disturbing and captivating.

These books have shaped my understanding of the world and continue to inspire me. Whether delving into the mysteries of the universe, exploring the intricacies of human behavior, or savoring the beauty of literary classics, each of these works holds a special place in my heart.

WHomES

jaume_reverte
Dynatrace Helper
Dynatrace Helper

There are a lot of good books that I can share. The most beautiful book I recently read is "Una historia compartida" or "Shared History" by Julia Navarro. It is a very personal and beautiful book that lets you learn about the lives of some of the most relevant women from ancient times to the present. 

It was very eye-opening for me. If you like history, you'll enjoy it! πŸ“–

I hope you have read and good monitoring! 

islam_zidan
Champion

Actually, I am reading a lot during my free time, but i can't forget Animal Farm by George Orwell

Dynatrace Certified Professional - Dynatrace Partner - Yourcompass.ca

PedroSantos
Frequent Guest

I absolutely love:

• Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams
    • "In the beginning the Universe was created. This had made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
    • This book is just so wild, and funny. It tackles a bunch of really deep questions regarding humankind with a hilariously absurd approach that can't both make you laugh and think at the same time, like...
    • "You know," said Arthur, "it's at times like this, when I'm trapped in a Vogon airlock with a man from Betelgeuse, and about to die of asphyxiation in deep space that I really wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when I was young."

"Why, what did she tell you?"

"I don't know, I didn't listen.”

• The Little Prince, by Antoine de Saint-ExupΓ©ry
    • "What makes the desert beautiful,' said the little prince, 'is that somewhere it hides a well..."
    • The Little Prince is a strong candidate for my all time favorite book. It's short, bittersweet, and powerful. I've read it many times before, at different ages, and always get different lessons from this little man. I really do think everyone should read it, at least once, in their lifetime.

• I pretty much gobble up all that Stephen King writes, although I discovered I like his books only in my 20's so I haven't caught up. A few of my favorites are:
    • Welcome to Joyland
    • It
    • Awakening
    • Pet Sematery
    • Fairy Tale

• All Harry Potter books, a childhood classic.

I'm sure there are more, but this post would become too long. Anna Karenina, the Karamazov Brothers, Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet... There are just too many great books out there!

Yep, 42 is always the correct answer to a great question!

Antonio Sousa

Eric_Yu
Dynatrace Mentor
Dynatrace Mentor

I'm currently reading The Three-Body Problem and liking it so far

Sci-fi and fiction are my favorite genres. Here are a few of my top picks:

• The Hobbit
  • The Harry Potter series
  • Dune

The SRE (Site Reliability Engineering) book by Google is a very nice read too.

The SRE book

Eric Yu | LATAM ACE Consultant

dannemca
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

I never went that much to books until I got the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams.

Then I read the Game of Thrones and their side quests, from George RR Martin.

Others I like are not fictional, no specific title, just any book that teach me how the finance world works. I would like to be prepared when retirement time comes.

edit.: Oh, I almost forgot... since we are all IT guys here, I would like to recommend this: The Phoenix Project: A Novel about IT, DevOps, and Helping Your Business Win, by Gene Kim.

Site Reliability Engineer @ Kyndryl

Kevinvdg
Participant

I loved the Phoenix Project, reminded me of my time as an Engineer and you still see that stuff happening to date. Others I like:

• Stephen King: Under the Dome, Misery, and Christine.
  • Jules Verne: Around the World in 80 Days and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
  • Dan Brown: Angels and Demons
  • Douglas Adams: The Hitchhiker's Guide series
  • Arthur Conan Doyle: Sherlock series
  • Other books: The Company, The Shadow of the Wind: The Cemetery of Forgotten Books, The Swarm

Oh and for the Dutch speaking community members a non fiction: 50 tinten nee.

jegron
DynaMight Champion
DynaMight Champion

I love biography!

• Steve Jobs - Walter Isaacson
  • Elon Musk - Walter Isaacson
  • Shoe Dog - Phil Knight
Observability Engineer at Phenisys - Dynatrace Professional

GunterC
Frequent Guest
  • Ringworld and other books of Larry Niven
  • Almost all books of Stephen King.
  • The Pendergast series of Preston&Child.
  • Peter Straub books
  • Millennium-trilogy of Stieg Larsson
  • All Dan Brown stuff

Since finishing my master's, I have really avoided books. Honestly, I prefer being outside or reading documentation or watch explanatory YouTube videos. I really lost the joy in reading as I had to consume 1200 pages of accounting and 400 pages of macroeconomics in 8 weeks and while it was also fun and challenging, it took me too much energy to read anything entertaining next to it. Maybe someone feels the same? πŸ˜…

During my holiday, I forced myself to read again, and this one brought me quite some joy:

marina_pollehn_0-1721641714858.jpeg

A Dynatrace Professional nerd working for Conclusion Xforce

I have felt the same in some occasions in the past, but one of the best was when I discovered Dynatrace. At the time, the appmon manual was something neat:

appmon.png

Antonio Sousa

Esam_Eid
Pro

This is one of my favorite books The Richest Man in Babylon

ilya_gutin
Dynatrace Guide
Dynatrace Guide

I wish I had time and energy to read as much as a kid/teenager when I was swallowing books in hoards. Some of my favorites are:

Lord of the Rings trilogy by John R. R. Tolkien. It was incepted as one book, and I can't think of it in any other term. A colossal work, that remains as awesome today as when I first read it about two decades ago.

Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling. In particular, Halfblood Prince and Prisoner of Azkaban are my favorites. These are far better books than you might expect from a mainstream bestseller. Also, some personal "achievements" are associated with them: Philosopher Stone is the first book I read in the original English version, and I read the entire Deathly Hallows in one sit.

Three Comrades by Erich Maria Remarque

In recent years, I prefer non-fiction though. Real life has plenty of awesome stories πŸ™‚

Riding Rockets by Mike Mullaine

Endurance by Scott Kelly

Carrying the Fire by Mike Collins

darynakovyrina
Dynatrace Mentor
Dynatrace Mentor

My all-time favorites are:

1. Harry Potter (Order of Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince)

2. Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

3. Romeo and Juliet by Shakespeare

jitse
Visitor

Some of my favorite (tangentially) work related books that are both insightful and pleasant to read:

• On Writing Well by William Zinsser
  • The Mythical Man-Month by Fred Brooks
  • The Delicate Art of Bureaucracy by Mark Schwartz

My absolute favorite, definitely not work related, books are Crime and Punishment and  The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky. I'm looking forward to some time off to finish (some of) the books I'm currently reading: Capital by Karl Marx, Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman and The Road to Unfreedom by Timothy Snyder.

Working for Conclusion Xforce

Miguel_RinconG
Dynatrace Advisor
Dynatrace Advisor

Hi,

My  top ten favorite books are:

1. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
  2. Living to Tell the Tale by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
  3. Fundation by Issac Asimov.
  4. Of Ants and Dinosaurs  by Liu Cixin.
  5. The Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin.
  6. The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury
  7. 3001: The Final Odyssey  by Arthur C. Clarke
  8. Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin
  9. Ender's Game by Orson Scott
  10. JubiabΓ‘ by Jorge Amado

I discovered while making my top ten books, I don't have read many women writers; this year, it will be my new goal.

Patrick_H
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

I don't really have favorites - but I' currently reading "Alles, was ein Mann im Kopf haben muss: UnnΓΌtzes Wissen fΓΌr alle Lebenslagen" - which is a light reading but pretty interesting facts of useless knowledge. Things you don't really need but easily remember πŸ˜‰
713ySQNPUvL._SL1500_.jpg

iOS help: https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/shortlink/ios-hub

Featured Posts