cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Take the Christmas challenge!

laima_vainina
Inactive

Welcome to the last Dynatrace Community challenge of 2020!

We invite you to think back through all the ordinary and extraordinary experiences with Dynatrace that filled the unusual year of 2020 to find one product idea that stands out above all others.

If you had to write a letter to Santa including only one wish regarding Dynatrace, what would it be?

Let’s share the letters to Santa with Dynatrace product ideas!

Entries close on December 25th.

We can’t wait to see your Christmas wishes! Everyone that lets us know their best idea will also get +200 reputation points and a personal answer from the Dynatrace Santa!

19 REPLIES 19

pahofmann
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

I don't know if it stands out above all others, but there are many requests for this feature and it is probably the RFE that most customers for me have in common: PDF Export.

Wouldn't use it alot myself probably. But sure would be nice if santa could help out so I would be able to tell customers YES there is a PDF export for Dashboards, instead of explaining why they probably don't want/need it every time 🙂

Dynatrace Certified Master, AppMon Certified Master - Dynatrace Partner - 360Performance.net

RomanW
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Hi Patrick! Santa is a busy man. He has to satisfy billions of people all around the globe. However, he knows very well that this wish is a prominent one and therefore plans for a big surprise for next Christmas or the one after. 🙂

Looking forward to it 🙂

Dynatrace Certified Master, AppMon Certified Master - Dynatrace Partner - 360Performance.net

Hi @Roman W.,

One of the most famous poets of Portugal in the last century has a wonderful poem, with a part that I believe applies here:

Christmas is in December
but in May it can be
Christmas is in September
It is when a man wants

in "Quando um Homem Quiser" by Ary dos Santos

Antonio Sousa

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

I have a wish that I had written by snail mail to Santa and it involved sending a PDF export of a Dashboard to the CTOs that are asking me that...

Looks like my wishes might come true, as it seems my letter was not the first one regarding this 😉

Merry Christmas Wishes to All!

Antonio Sousa

RomanW
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Hi Antonio! Santa is a busy man. He has to satisfy billions of people all around the globe. However, he knows very well that this wish is a prominent one and therefore plans for a big surprise for next Christmas or the one after. 🙂

Julius_Loman
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

I wish the Dynatrace HUB to be available for Christmas, so every Dynatrace customer can pick presents by their preferences! 🙂

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

@Julius L.

I've told Santa that you have been one good boy this year, and he has whispered me that your wishes might be the first to come true! And I checked it out and it seems that at least part of them are already available, at least for me in 1.207.174:

Antonio Sousa

Yeah, I see. You are right, a first step is really available in 1.207 🙂 SaaS customers have an early Christmas present!

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

Hi Július - rest assured that not only Santa brings gifts, but also the Easter bunny will continue to deliver surprises on the Dynatrace Hub!

ChadTurner
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

Dear Santa,

My one an only wish this year is that we gain the ability to create and customize our own honeycomb dashboard tile. Santa, this would make so many endusers and Dynatrace administrators happy. Think about it Santa, you have your Naughty and Nice list. And with that list... (AKA honeycomb tile) you can see collectively how many kids are Nice (Green) or Naughty (Red). Along with the freedom an flexibility to click into the ...honeycomb tile... I mean 'List'... and see what Kid was Naughty (Red) and why. 🙂

I hope my Christmas wish comes true and to help you keep track of your Workshop and Global Delivery Operation, I've created you a dashboard:

Don't forget to connect the UFO too so you can keep track of the workshop at a glance!

-Chad

RomanW
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Dear Chad! Santa knows that you have always been kind to your customers so he sent his elves to help the busy people at Dynatrace to fulfil you dearest wish.

With 1.211/1.212 you'll receive your first present in the form of a number of interaction patters, we'll introduce to dashboard tiles, drilling into honeycombs being one of them:

Having the honeycomb available as a generic visualization in the Data explorer is roughly planned for summer timeframe.

dannemca
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Hi Santa, I am a simple boy and my wish is also a simple one. I just want a simple metric which could tell us how many OneAgents we have connected into a single ActiveGate. It can be a default tile available on the Dashboard page, or a simple metric available once creating a custom chart...

Simple, isn't?

Thanks.

Site Reliability Engineer @ Kyndryl

Hi @Danne Meira Castro A.

Thanks for this request. I am happy to say we are actually in the process of designing a solution for you. At the moment we are at the stage of conceptual mockups and user flows' discussions. The solution will be likely offered as a combination of Host Details and Deployment Status pages with some filtering in place and REST API counterparts.

At the moment I do not have the ETA for the project completion, I am afraid. But Let me share a few conceptual (non final) mockups here for illustration. And if you feel like discussing this further or have some questions or comments (there is, in fact, much more to this enhancement), please give me a ping at bartosz(dot)gatz(at)dynatrace(dot)com.

Cheers,

Bartek
Dynatrace product management

Principal Product Manager @ Dynatrace

Hi Bartosz, thanks for this update. That info will help a lot, for sure, mainly if this metric were available for dashboarding, custom or default tile/widget!!

Site Reliability Engineer @ Kyndryl

rswarnka
Helper

Smartscape like compact visualization for Kubernetes cluster.

Hi Rajesh, Christmas break is over but doesn't stop Santa to work on it. 🙂 Actually we're working on screens to give you an overview and details of workloads, pods and namespaces. Services are next.

benacqui
Newcomer

Dear Santa,

I wish my OneAgents to have an extra super power: Network Super Vision

OneAgent runs as root, it would be so great (and so easy ?) to have him tcpdump network interfaces with customizable filters for limited time and export result as .pcap files…

One stack is actually lacking in the “Full Stacks” OneAgent technology… and that is the Network paquets.

Please Santa, make OneAgent complete!

Santa is glad that you brought up this wish. However, as an old man with a long gray beard (read: baggage of experiences from the past), Santa plans for gift deliveries beyond just upcoming Christmas (read: technologies change and new opportunities arise, which we will seize). Therefore, Santa would like to ask you for imaging how could your core wishes be addressed also in situations where the old faithful tcpdump is not going to work anymore (think Kubernetes, managed cloud platforms). Santa also has to think how to address those wishes, which could become a curse for the wisher (think of security consequences of an inadvertent tcpdumping of the sensitive data that network packets carry).

Having these in mind, Santa is pondering an idea of using log monitoring to enable packet flow detail reporting, but making sure no actual packet data gets exposed. It wouldn’t come all at once, flexible log monitoring has to materialize itself first, and this will be soon. Then, Santa imagines that packet flows (but not data) will become an on-demand log insight option. Or something along those lines.

BTW, precisely speaking, OneAgent doesn’t run as root anymore. It was a Christmas present a couple of years ago - OneAgent uses linux managed Capabilities to obtain access it needs to instrument the apps and measure processes, but nothing above it. https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/shortlink/non-privileged-mode

Cheers!

Featured Posts