cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to differentiate Kubernetes metrics collected using OneAgent vs Prometheus in Dynatrace?

SE
Frequent Guest

Could someone advise me on how to validate and differentiate the metrics collected by OneAgent and Prometheus from the Kubernetes cluster in Data Explorer in Dynatrace?  

6 REPLIES 6

SE
Frequent Guest

Please help me on my query. I am struck with my POC.

DanielS
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

I try to summarize several recommendations:

I recommend you to use the Kubernetes Monitoring Statistics Dashboard

DanielS_0-1661432397667.png

You can check there the /metrics scrapping process is working fine. Also have in mind that this integration supports only the counter and gauge Prometheus metric types .

From Data Explorer:

DanielS_1-1661432948099.png

Also in Consumption- Davis data units select Metrics and check the metrics consuming DDU, because OA metrics don't consume DDU's.

Here you can check How to Monitor Prometheus Metrics

The true delight is in the finding out rather than in the knowing.

SE
Frequent Guest

Hi Daniel,

I am using node exporter to scrape the metrics from kubernetes to dynatrace. As suggested I tried to look for the data in data explorer for Prometheus metrics as mentioned in your post . I am not receiving any data.

Hope  kubernetes monitoring statistics extension has to deploy in the tenant to get that  dashboard. Am I Right? If so I tried to upload the extension in the Dynatrace tenant ->Settings- >custom extension section but unable to do so , receiving error like "Could not connect to the server. try again later".  

Please advise. 

Mizső
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Hi SE,

In metrics browser you can check it. metrics are collected by one agent always start with builtin:, other ingested metrics has a different beginning (name), see the consumtion / metrics from demo environment:

Mizs_0-1662543134320.png

I haven't configured prometheus metrics collection form Kubernetes so I do not konow the excat beginning (name) of these kind of metrics. 

Br, Mizső

Dynatrace Community RockStar 2024, Certified Dynatrace Professional

SE
Frequent Guest

Any other suggestions how to observe the prometheus metrics in Dynatrace for node exporter in kubernetes. If so how I can differentiate it whether metrics data get collected from oneagent or Prometheus in Dynatrace

mreider
Dynatrace Advisor
Dynatrace Advisor

I'd like to refer you to this feedback thread if you have more input.

https://community.dynatrace.com/t5/forums/editpage/board-id/Feedback_channel/message-id/2322

Kubernetes beatings will continue until morale improves

Featured Posts